XXII

Chapter Twenty-Two:

~ Denial is a river in Egypt ~

The red mark on my face was beginning to fade, but the bruising was only now beginning to show. I could still feel the stinging sensation where he had slapped me, but I had been ignoring it. I had slipped away out of the paddock before anyone else could have noticed it.

I was okay now.

Everything was okay.

It had been a long, and somewhat trying day, so now all I wanted was to go home. Of course, I was miles away from my home, but my hotel room would do.

I wasn't sure if Matteo would have the courage to show his face there tonight, so I was walking a little faster. The hotel lobby was still bustling with people, but I was determined to make it back to my room before anyone else saw me.

I stepped into the elevator and let out the breath I had been holding when I heard the 'ding!'. I knew that I should be thinking about Matteo and what the hell I was going to do and say to him, but my mind had other plans.

Now the only thing I could think of was Charles.

The way he had held me when I fell apart. His eyes when he had told me to trust him.

For a moment my resolve had wavered. My defenses shook. My heart almost believed him.

But my mind could not be convinced by sweet words and pretty eyes. The truth was still there, buried deep within me, and I knew that I could not trust him.

Ding!

The door of the elevator opened and I stepped out into the brightly lit hallway. I passed an old couple on my way to my room and gave them a friendly smile and a nod. I tried to push everything else out of my mind for just a moment, but it was no use. I couldn't shake the image of his face, sincere and gentle.

I unlocked my door and slipped inside the dark room, my heart racing as I closed the door softly behind me. I flicked on the light switch, and the warm glow filled the space. I let my shoulders droop and my back pressed against the door.

I let out a sigh.

"Evangeline."

The air in the room seemed to be still as I stood there, my heart pounding in my chest. I didn't sense his presence until the moment he spoke. His voice, so deep and velvety, startled me.

My eyes darted around the room, searching for him. And then, there he was. Sitting on the floor, his back against the untidy bed, one hand clutching his side, the other resting on his knee. The light cast his face in shadow, but even so, I could see the relief that washed over him when he saw me.

"Fucking hell, Leclerc! You almost made me pass out." I gasped, clutching my chest. When I heard him speak, I swear I jumped three inches off the ground. "What the hell are you doing in my room?!"

"Evie-"

"You can't just break into people's rooms!" I snapped, my voice a little shaky from the shock. "I'll call security on you!" He tried to laugh it off, but it sounded pained.

"Shut up and help me," he grunted. I stopped, taking a pace towards him.

"What?"

His shoulders dropped a little as he let out a breath. Then, slowly, his head tilted a little to look at me, allowing the light to wash over his features. I gasped, my hands flying to my mouth.