X

Chapter ten:

~ My sanity is talking back to me ~

When I invited her to come, I really thought that she would say something sarcastic or give me an over-the-top, weird excuse for why she couldn't.

But she surprised me.

Well, she always surprised me. That's what made her so fun.

I saw her 'fiance' first. I was pretty sure his name was Matteo. Or maybe Theodore, because she always called him Teo. I didn't care.

I found her outside, arguing with the bouncer. I watched for a few minutes. Most people would have just left or asked someone for help but not her. She was arguing with this man, who was twice her size, with a fire that made my heart flutter.

I had seen her walk away into the garage from the podium only a few hours ago. She looked... defeated. But now... now she was back.

Finally, I decided to show myself.

"Evangeline!" I called. I saw her jaw tighten, and I could almost see her roll her eyes in her mind.

"Oh, my! Calvin? Is that you?" She faked a gasp in mock surprise. I shot her a look at the name.

What was her problem with my real name?

I hadn't heard it from her in years.

I suppose that was my fault.

"I didn't think you'd come." I gave her a smile, stopping beside them. The bounced, Ed, gave me a nod. I returned it. "I was starting to think you were avoiding me." I chuckled, looking at her.

Wow, she was...

Her chestnut hair was done up in a braid, a few strands loose, giving it a messy effect. Her dress was a beautiful dark shade of blue, the back open, only crossed with a few threads. Small gold earrings, and thin gold necklace with a moon on it, and...

Her ring.

Not her engagement ring. I had never seen her wear that unless he was around. But her other ring. This one, I remembered.

The gold band around her finger. Her mothers. 

Beautiful. 

The ring wasn't too bad either. 

"What? Me? Never!" She said sarcastically. I smiled softly, raising an eyebrow. She paused, and sighed. "Teo wanted to come. So... here I am." She shrugged.

Enthusiastic. 

I love it.

"Are you going to come inside?" I asked, stepping aside a little so that she could pass.

She hesitated for a moment before taking a step forward. But almost instantly, she was held back by Ed. I tried not to bristle at his hand on her shoulder. I swatted it away quickly.

"She's with me now. Back off." I told him firmly, my voice calm. I found that in situations where you want to do something violent, it's best to keep your voice calm to trick your mind into thinking that you are, calm.

She gave me a surprise look, her gaze searching mine for something, but she gave up. As we walked inside, I saw her stick her tongue out at Ed over her shoulder. I smiled to myself.

This woman...

I led her inside, my hand hovering just above her back. The music flooded my senses, leaving my already half-drunk brain feeling fuzzy.