V

Chapter Five:

~ Just a little bit of murder? Please? ~

It was over.

What had started as a nightmare now ended with me waking up in the middle of another. But in this one, I was alone.

I had spent every second wishing for whatever this had been to over. Of course all except for the moments when I'd been with him. Really been with him. The real him.

He had kept his promise that night.

When I woke up, I was alone. The bed was empty, the room silent. It was like the world had been sucked away, leaving only an echo of what once was. Both of them were gone.

I hadn't seen him since then.

It had only been a week but it felt like forever.

The only people I talked to nowadays were the gang, Max, and Matteo who would not stop trying to see me. It was getting on my nerves.

Apparently he showed up at my apartment when I wasn't there. Rory and Thea were there though, so of course he left, more like hobbled, away with a bruised crotch. Damn I loved my best friend.

"Morning sunshine!" Rory said as she walked into my room, carrying a plate of eggs and toast.

"I'm sorry do you live here?" I sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. My head felt fuzzy. She set the plate down on my lap, moving to sit beside me.

"Are you complaining?" She asked a little sharply. I raised my hands.

"No ma'am. Wouldn't dare." I took the plate and sat up a little straighter. "You spoil me, Aurora Harrow." I smiled at her gratefully.

"Oh hush, you know you love it. Now eat up, there's a good girl." Rory smiled, patting my knee.

"You calling me a good girl is making me weirdly uncomfortable," I mumbled through a mouthful of eggs. "Especially coming from you." Rory laughed, her warm, infectious laughter filling the room.

"Honestly, and I mean this in the least offensive way possible, I would make a better husband than any of these other boys you know," Rory continued, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

"Yes. Please just marry me already. I'm done with men." I sighed, rolling my eyes. She grinned, getting to her feet and opening the drapes.

"Aw honey, just because the only men you've dated have been complete dickweasels, doesn't mean there aren't nice guys out there." She paused, giving me a pointed look. "Like me."

I snorted. "Yeah, keep telling yourself that."

Rory rolled her eyes, but the smile didn't quite reach her eyes. "What do you want me to say? That you're better off without him?"

"I am."

"You haven't been out of the apartment in a week," Rory said, picking up on my unspoken thought. "He's not the only guy in the world. You're smart, funny, gorgeous, and sweet. You can do better."

I knew she was right. I just didn't want to do better. I didn't want anyone else. It felt selfish and wrong, but it was the truth. I wanted him.

"I don't know," I finally said, my voice barely above a whisper. "I just... I don't know if I can."

Rory crossed her arms, giving me that look. The one that said, 'I know you better than you know yourself'. "Look, I know this isn't easy. And I know it hurts like hell. But you were the one who ended it, not him."