XVI

Chapter Sixteen:

~ Houston, I have so many problems~

Charles POV

I had always hated the summer break.

I had always avoided traveling since I did enough of that for work, so I mostly just stayed in Monaco. I got to spend time with my family and it was pleasant for the most part.

But I always felt restless.

Like there was something missing.

I didn't know what it was, but I always felt this urge to just... get out. To go for a walk and clear my head. It was strange, because I never liked walking or anything, but it was the only thing that seemed to help.

I had to wear something casual so as to not draw attention to myself, but other than that,t I had fun. That was one of the only downsides of being an F1 driver in Monaco. You couldn't really just go for a walk without being recognized.

I have been feeling better lately.

Ever since the Grand Prix here a few weeks ago, I had been feeling... different. Like something had shifted inside me. I didn't know what it was, but it felt like a weight had been lifted.

I had been... nicer, maybe. More considerate.

I hadn't woken up with a headache and a random woman in my bed, like I usually did, for a week. Not that I was complaining, but it was... different. It felt nice. Like I could actually enjoy myself for once.

I was walking along the promenade, the sun warm on my skin, the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks in the distance. The air smelled like salt, seaweed, and fresh air. It was peaceful.

There was a lot going on in my mind.

I didn't know why I had been feeling the way I had been feeling. It wasn't like I was a different person or anything, but it felt like... I don't know. There was a change in me.

There was one thing that hadn't left my mind for the past few days.

Evie.

She had been on my mind a lot, lately. I knew it was stupid. We hadn't talked since that night, but I found myself longing to talk to her again. I hadn't found anyone who was that easy to talk to, and who wanted to listen.

It was pathetic, really. I was an F1 driver, for Christ's sake. I had women throwing themselves at me left and right, and here I was, pining over someone who didn't even want to be around me.

But it didn't change the fact that she was all I could think about.

That's normal, right?

I kicked a pebble down the sidewalk, watching it skitter across the road. It felt good to just be out here, feeling the wind in my hair and the sun on my face. It made me wonder why I hadn't done this more often.

I glanced up, and my heart jumped a little as I recognized the two women walking towards me. I didn't know one of them, but the other was her.

They were walking along the sidewalk in front of me, deep in conversation. I saw her laugh at something the other girl said, and I swear my heart skipped a beat.

"Eve!"

I found myself calling out to her before I knew what I was doing. She looked up and our eyes met, for a moment I thought she might smile, but her eyes hardened at the sight of me. Her expression became one of anger and annoyance.