IX

Chapter nine: 

~ Truth doesn't change the way you lie ~

Spain:

Lec - P1

Ver - P2

Pia - P3

If you were wondering, I ended up in P6. In other words, I had fucked up my strategy almost spectacularly. I had thought that by being so obviously better than him, I could at least finish above him.

That French douceburger.

But no, he had to do amazing, didn't he? 

He had to win the whole fucking race with a ten second gap. And then he had the audacity to invite me to celebrate with him. If Matteo hadn't accepted for me then I would have had the perfect excuse not to go.

Actually, I have a list of incredible excuses. For example:

"My plot to take over the presidency of the book club is thickening, and I must stay home to make sure everything is working out smoothly."

"I do not usually go out on days that end with the letter "y". Sorry, personal preference."

"I must eat more white dots; the monsters have not turned blue yet."

Yes, I am a professional excuse maker. Thank you, thank you. Please remain in your seats, hold your applause.

But I never got the chance to use any of them. So, here I was. Dressed to kill, as always, showing my ID to the bouncer because apparently, I looked "suspicious".

Maybe I should have worn my glasses. But then again, I looked good without them too. Damn, that was a problem.

Matteo had already gone in, saying he was too excited to wait. I think he just wanted to get wasted, but so did I. Then maybe, just maybe, I could avoid eye contact with the annoyingly pretty brunette.

"Evangeline!"

Shit biscuits.

Well, that plan worked. Not even inside yet, and he already found me. Did he have some sort of sixth sense or something? Maybe he was just really good at stalking.

"Oh my! Calvin? Is that you?" I pretended to be surprised. He shot me a look at the name but brushed over it.

"I really didn't think you would come." He smiled, coming over to me. The bouncer gave him a nod. "I was starting to think you were avoiding me."

"What? Me? Never!"

I looked past him, trying to ignore the sparkle in his eyes. I sighed. "Teo wanted to come. So, here I am." I shrugged.

"Are you going to come inside?" He asked, stepping to the side a little so I could enter. I took a step forward, but the bouncer held me back.

His hand was swatted away almost immediately by Charles. He shot him a warning look. "She's with me now. Back off." His tone was calm, his expression stern. I looked up at him, a little surprised at the sudden display of... nevermind.

I stuck my tongue out at the bouncer over my shoulder as Charles led me inside, his hand hovering on my back.

"You know, you don't have to do that," I murmured as we finally made it past the door. "I could have gotten in without you."