Chapter 17: Everything Revealed

Raven and Daphne sat with Harry and Hermione at dinner Monday night. Cho Chang walked in and Raven noticed Harry's eyes linger on her with a mix expression.

"Oh, I forgot to ask you," Hermione said brightly to Harry, glancing at Cho, "what happened on your date with Cho?" Raven coughed on his drink a bit and Daphne gently elbowed him. "How come you were back so early?"

Harry hesitated, but gave in and began to explain what happened.

"Oh, Harry." Hermione said sadly. "Well, I'm sorry, but you were a bit tactless."

"Me, tactless?" Harry said outraged. "One minute we were getting on fine, next minute she was telling me that Roger Davies asked her out and how she used to go and snog Cedric in that stupid teashop-how was I supposed to feel about that?"

"Harry," Raven said, gaining his attention, "did we talk over the summer about you helping her find closure to Cedric?"

"Well, yeah, but..." Harry said. "It just-it didn't feel like the right time at the moment. Plus," he sighed, "her mentioning Cedric and Davies like that felt to me like she hadn't moved on."

"I can see your point." Raven said. "Talking about other partners while on a date isn't the best move."

"You also shouldn't have told her you wanted to meet me halfway through your date." Hermione said.

"But, but," Harry spluttered, "but-you told me to meet you at twelve and to bring her along, how was I supposed to do that without telling her?"

"You should have told her differently." Hermione said, still with that maddeningly patient air.

"You should have said it was really annoying, but I'd made you promise to come along to the Three Broomsticks, and you really didn't want to go, you'd much rather spend the whole day with her, but unfortunately you thought you really ought to meet me and would she please, please come along with you and hopefully you'd be able to get away more quickly. And it might have been a good idea to mention how ugly you think I am too." She added as an afterthought.

"You're not ugly." Harry, Raven and Daphne all said.

Hermione was a little surprised by all three of them replying to her. "Y'all are worse than Ron." She said with a dry laugh. "Look-you upset Cho when you said you were going to meet me, so she tried to make you jealous. It was her way of trying to find out how much you liked her."

"Is that what she was doing?" Harry questioned, as Ron dropped on the bench next to him.

"Well, wouldn't it have been easier if she'd just asked me whether I liked her better than you?"

"Girls don't often ask questions like that." Hermione said.

"Well, they should!" Harry said forcefully. "Then I could've just told her I fancy her, and she wouldn't have had to get herself all worked up again about Cedric dying!"

"I'm not saying what she did was sensible." Hermione said as Ginny joined them. "I'm just trying to make you see how she was feeling at the time. You boys need to be more aware of the hints girls drop. Right, Daphne?"

"No." Daphne disagreed, surprising Hermione again. "Believe me," she glanced at Raven with a smile, "being more direct works out better in the end." Raven smiled back at her, and the two exchanged a quick kiss.

Harry then began to ask Ron and Ginny about Quidditch practice, to avoid love for the moment, and discuss their upcoming game against Hufflepuff, which when the time came, Hufflepuff won by ten points. Ron played lousy as a Keeper again, though Ginny did fair pretty well as a Seeker.