Chapter 18: Izanami

The next morning, Raven messaged his mother about the situation last night. She replied back saying Kingsley informed her.

Don't worry, Little Bird. She wrote, assuring him. They won't be able to link anything back to me. If they question me about any of it, however, I'll feign ignorance. Even if they use Veritaserum, I have ways to counter it, thanks to your godfather's training. Also, if Umbridge does anything to you, let me know.

Raven's worry dissipated after his mother assure him that she'd be alright. He knew Umbridge, and potentially Fudge, had it out for her, so he was worried they'd try something to get her sacked. He was curious as to how his mother trained to counter Veritaserum, and wondered if he could learn a way or two to counter it sometime from her in the future.

As he left the Ravenclaw tower, Raven saw a notice saying that Umbridge had been assigned as Headmistress, replacing Dumbledore. Raven mentally groaned at it, not delighted to see what she would be up to now that she had even more power.

Raven made his way down the flight of stairs towards the Great Hall. He met up with Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ernie Macmillan on the way; Daphne joined up with them shortly after.

"The Head office has sealed itself against Umbridge." Ernie said smirking. "Apparently, she had a right little tantrum."

"Oh, I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there in the Head's office." Hermione said viciously. "Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old-"

"Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?" Draco Malfoy had slid out from behind a door, followed by Crabbe and Goyle. "Afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff." He drawled.

"You can't take points from fellow prefects, Malfoy." Ernie said at once.

"I know prefects can't dock points from each other." Malfoy sneered. "But members of the Inquisitorial Squad-"

"The what?" Hermione said sharply.

"The Inquisitorial Squad, Granger." Malfoy said, pointing towards a tiny silver 'I' on his robes. "A select group of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic, handpicked by Professor Umbridge."

"I don't think that's something to be proud of." Raven scoffed.

"Five points from Ravenclaw for disrespecting a member of the Inquisitorial Squad, Mordecur." Draco smirked; Raven just rolled his eyes.

"Anyway," Draco continued, "members of the Inquisitorial Squad do have the power to dock points...so, Granger, I'll have five from you for being rude about our new Headmistress. Macmillan, five for contradicting me. Five because I don't like you, Potter. Weasley, your shirt's untucked, so I'll have another five for that. Five again from you, Mordecur, for being a blood-traitor. Oh yeah, I forgot, you're a Mudblood, Granger, so ten off for that."

Ron pulled out his wand, but Hermione stopped him.

"And..." Draco said turning to Daphne.

"What?" Daphne smirked, crossing her arms. "Going to take points off of Slytherin next?"

"Ten more points from Ravenclaw for dating him." Draco said, pointing to Raven with a smirk. He, along with Crabbe and Goyle laughed while walking away.

"He was bluffing." Ernie said, looking appalled. "He can't be allowed to dock points...that would be ridiculous...it would completely undermine the prefect system."

"It's just points, Ernie." Raven sighed. "We have more important things to worry about during these times." He interlaced his hand in Daphne's and the two began walking together towards the Great Hall.