25. Acting

William entered the lift with Amelia as the elevator doors closed behind them. William and Amelia were surrounded in an unsettling silence. Amelia shifted uncomfortably, stealing glances at William, who stood rigidly beside her. The gentle hum of the elevator's descent was the only sound in the confined space.

Then, without warning, the elevator abruptly stopped, and darkness engulfed them as the lights flickered off. A faint thud echoed through the silence, and Amelia's heart pounded in her chest. Immediately, she reached for her phone flashlight, her hand trembling as she lit up the small space.

There, on the floor, was William, his body curled in on itself, gasping for breath. Sweat glistened on his forehead, and his eyes were wide with panic. Fear gripped Amelia as she kneeled beside him, her voice shaking as she pleaded, "William, what's happening? Talk to me, please!"

But William remained silent, his chest pounding with every breath of effort. Panic surged through Amelia as she realised the gravity of the situation. "Someone, please! Open the door!" she screamed, her voice echoing in the confined space.

Minutes seemed like eternity as they waited in the suffocating darkness. Finally, with a mechanical whir, the doors creaked open, revealing the concerned faces of the hotel staff. With their help, William was gently guided out of the elevator, his frail body supported by their steady hands.

Amelia followed closely behind, her heart heavy with worry. She wasted no time in dialing James, her voice trembling as she recalled the terrifying experience. "James, it's about William," she said, her words rushed and frantic. "He's not okay. Something's wrong."

On the other end of the line, James's voice was calm. "Madam, it's happening because of his mental illness," he explained gently. "He needs help. Take him to his psychiatrist immediately."Amelia's breath caught in her throat as she listened to James's words.

Tears welled in her eyes as she realised the gravity of the situation. "Please, William," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion. "You have to be okay."

With determination in her heart, Amelia guided William to the car, her hand firmly clasped in his. As the driver drove through the bustling city streets.
The journey to the psychiatrist's hospital felt like an eternity, each passing moment filled with uncertainty and fear. But as they finally arrived, a sense of relief surged over Amelia.

As Amelia entered the room, cradling William in her arms, the psychiatrist turned to face her, his expression professional yet compassionate. "Please look at him," she pleaded, her voice filled with desperation. "He is suffering so much."

The psychiatrist directed her to wait outside, his demeanour grave, as he assessed William's condition. Once Amelia had left the room, William, still lying on the stretcher, suddenly sat up, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"So, your name is Steven, right?" He began, his tone playful yet sinister. "What do you think of my acting? Do you think it looked real?"

Steven blinked, caught off guard by William's abrupt change in demeanour. "Your performance was convincing," he admitted cautiously, unsure of where this conversation was headed.

William smirked, a sly smile curling the corners of his lips as he reclined back onto the stretcher. "Now, you have to play your part," he insisted, his voice dripping with manipulation. "So that my wife feels sympathetic towards me."

Suppressing his discomfort, Steven nodded curtly, his gaze unwavering as he mentally prepared himself for the task ahead. "I understand," he replied evenly, his voice betraying the turmoil swirling inside him.

Amelia stepped into the room, her eyes scanning the scene. There was William, sitting on the stretcher, his usual vibrant demeanour replaced by a weak expression. Concern etched her features as she approached him.

"Are you feeling okay, William?" she asked softly, her voice filled with worry.

William managed a feeble nod, attempting to muster a reassuring smile. "I am okay, Amelia," he replied, though his words seemed to falter under the weight of his condition.

Before Amelia could continue with her inquiry, the psychiatrist, Steven, interrupted, his presence commanding attention. "You are still not okay, William," he stated firmly, his gaze piercing through the facade. "I think you are going through emotional turmoil."

Amelia furrowed her brow in confusion, her concern deepening. "Emotional turmoil? But I thought he was claustrophobic."

Steven interrupted her, his tone gentle yet resolute. "It's not just claustrophobia, Mrs. Amelia. William has been experiencing extreme anger issues. He had many attacks in the past, and there have been moments when he's harmed himself because he didn't want to harm the people around him."

A shiver ran down Amelia's spine as she absorbed Steven's words, the gravity of the situation sinking in. She turned her attention back to William, her heart aching at the thought of his silent struggles.

"William," Steven continued, his voice filled with empathy, "it seems like you're not getting proper sleep, and you may be experiencing emotional turmoil, which triggers these attacks."

William's gaze fell to the floor, his silence speaking volumes.

"You must be his wife," Steven stated, turning his gaze towards Amelia. "Please, take care of him. Sometimes he may act irrational, but I've written prescriptions for medications. If he takes them, it will help calm his mind. Please, don't let him miss a dose ever again."

Amelia nodded solemnly, her determination solidifying. She reached out to grasp William's hand, offering him a silent promise of support and understanding.

"I'll take care of him," she affirmed, her voice steady despite the turmoil within. "Thank you, Mr Steven."

As Steven left the room, Amelia turned her attention back to William, her gaze softening with concern for not trying to understand his situation.

As they went home Amelia gently helped William lie down in their bed, As she turned to go, William's voice, filled with fear, stopped her.

"Don't go, Amelia," he pleaded, his grip on her hand tightening. "Please stay with me tonight."

Her heart ached because of the past scar given by him , still she couldn't bear to ignore him. "I'll stay," she whispered softly, her voice trembling with unknown emotion.