39. Bad Dreams

Amelia stood amidst the garden's vibrant blooms, her gaze fixated on the delicate petals of a crimson rose. Lost in thought, she barely noticed Aaron's approach until his voice cut through the stillness.

"Do you like roses, Amelia?" Aaron's question startled her, and she turned to face him, surprise flickering across her features.

"This is the first time you didn't flinch seeing me," he remarked casually, his eyes meeting hers with a gentle intensity.

Amelia hesitated, looking at the uniformed figure before her. "You are a lawyer?" she questioned, a note of uncertainty coloring her words.

Aaron nodded, a faint smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Yes, I was on a break, so you didn't see me like this."

"I thought you were a businessman," Amelia admitted, her tone tinged with uncertainty.

"You're not entirely wrong," Aaron conceded, his expression thoughtful. "I do help my brother to manage our family business, but I'm also a lawyer."

Amelia's brow furrowed slightly, but before she could voice her thoughts, Aaron returned to the topic at hand. "Anyway, you didn't answer my question," he prompted, gesturing towards the roses.

Amelia's gaze drifted back to the flowers, her features softening with a hint of bitterness. "No, I just hate roses," she confessed, her voice laced with unresolved emotion.

                                   ~~~

As they strolled through the garden, a sudden sharp pain shot through Amelia's ankle, causing her to cry out in distress. Aaron spun around, concern etched into his features as he rushed to her side.

"What's wrong? Did something stab your foot?" he inquired, his voice filled with worry.

Amelia shook her head, her breath catching in her throat. "No, I'm fine," she insisted, though the pain continued to throb relentlessly.

Aaron knelt beside her, his gaze narrowing as he examined her ankle. His fingers brushed against her skin, and he felt the presence of an anklet bracelet, its metal pressing uncomfortably against her flesh.

Gently, he traced the outline of the bruised skin, his expression darkening with concern. "Your skin is sensitive," he murmured, his voice tinged with empathy. "You shouldn't wear this anymore."

Gently, Aaron unclasped the anklet bracelet, freeing Amelia from its constricting grip. He glanced up at her and discarded the anklet bracelet, seeing William's gift lying on the ground. Amelia felt a mix of emotions swirling within her.

For a moment, silence enveloped them, broken only by the rustle of leaves and the distant hum of the garden. Then, Amelia's gaze met Aaron's, gratitude shining in her eyes.

"Thank you," she whispered, her voice barely audible above the gentle breeze.

Together, as they walked, Amelia couldn't help but feel a sense of newfound freedom, her heart lighter than it had been in the past years.

                                 ~~~

As the clock struck midnight, Aaron found himself standing before the corridor that leads to Amelia's room. The silence of the night was broken by a sudden, painful cry emanating from the room. His heart clenched at the sound of the distressed voice.

"Don't hurt me, please! I beg you, William," she murmured, her words barely audible yet echoing with anguish. Aaron's brow furrowed with concern, his mind racing with worry for Amelia's well-being.

With cautious steps, he approached the closed door, his hand resting lightly on the doorknob. He could hear her soft sobs drifting through the wooden door, each one tugging at his heartstrings.

"Again she's crying in her sleep," Aaron whispered to himself, a mixture of sympathy and frustration welling up inside him. "Why does that man keep coming into her dreams every day? Why can't he just leave her in peace?"

Aaron's mind flashed with images of Amelia haunted by a man than he clenched his fists, "I don't know what he did to you, Amelia," Aaron said, his voice filled with a fierce determination. "But I won't spare that guy, William. We will meet soon."

Aaron's words were filled with anger, his eyes burning with an intensity that matched the flames of his resolve.

With a firm grip, he turned the doorknob and pushed open the door, revealing Amelia lying on her bed, her face stained with tears. Without hesitation, Aaron crossed the threshold and approached her bedside, his presence a comforting solace in the midst of her turmoil.

Gently, he reached out and brushed a stray lock of hair from her forehead,"Shh, it's alright, Amelia," he whispered, his voice a tender reassurance in the darkness. "I'm here now. You're safe."

As Aaron sat beside her, offering a steady presence in the midst of her sufferings, a sense of peace filled over Amelia, like a beacon of light piercing through the darkness.

                                  ~~~

The sun had just begun to rise, casting a warm, golden light over the backyard. The morning air was crisp and refreshing. Amelia sat at the backyard table, enjoying a cup of coffee with Aaron and his family. Aaron's parents were discussing plans for the day, while Aaron himself leaned back in his chair, relaxed and content.

As they chatted, the gate to the backyard creaked open, and Kevin walked in, his wife Lisa by his side. They approached the table with friendly smiles. Kevin, a tall man with a confident stride, nodded at everyone before his gaze settled on Amelia."Hello, Miss Amelia. My name is Kevin," he said, his voice warm and polite.

Amelia nodded and returned his smile. "Hello,Mr.Kevin."Kevin chuckled softly. "You must not remember me because you were unconscious that day."Amelia's eyes widened in surprise. "So you were also there?" she asked, her tone a mix of curiosity and confusion.

Kevin glanced at Aaron, his expression momentarily serious. "So you didn't tell her I was there?" he said, a hint of reproach in his voice.

Aaron smirked, unbothered by Kevin's mild accusation. "I guess I didn't mention it."

Kevin shook his head with a small smile, then turned his attention back to Amelia. "Anyway, this is my wife Lisa. She is a school teacher.

"Lisa stepped forward, her face lighting up with a friendly smile. "I heard about you from my husband It's nice to finally meet you, Amelia," she said warmly.

"It's nice to meet you too, Lisa," Amelia replied.