35. New Home

As Kevin parked the car in front of a house. Aaron stepped out of the car, holding the motionless body of Amelia he found lying on the street.

Without hesitation,Kevin urged"Why are you taking her home? Just take her to the hospital or call the police," his voice filled with concern.

Aaron shook his head, his gaze unwavering. "Didn't you see? Even though she's unconscious, she's murmuring one sentence: 'Help me.' I don't know what happened to her, but I can't trust her safety to anyone else. So, I'm taking her home. When she's awake and wants to go to her family, I'll take her there. But not now, when she's barely breathing."

Kevin nodded solemnly, understanding the gravity of the situation. "I'll go home now," he said quietly. "When she's awake, let me know."

As Aaron carried Amelia into his home, he couldn't shake the thoughts that lingered in the air. Who was she? What had happened to her? And why was she lying on the street?

For hours, Aaron sat by Amelia's bedside, watching over her as she slept peacefully. With each passing moment, his determination to protect her grew stronger. He couldn't explain it, but something about her stirred a sense of compassion deep within him.

As the first light of dawn began to filter through the curtains, Amelia stirred awake. Her eyes looked around the unfamiliar room, her heart pounding with fear. She couldn't remember how she got there or who the man sitting beside her was. Every instinct screamed at her to flee, to protect herself from this stranger.

Startled, Aaron leaned in closer to Amelia, his heart racing with anticipation. "Are you feeling okay?" he asked softly, his voice filled with concern.

"Don't come near me!" she pleaded, her voice trembling with fear. She got up from the bed and huddled against the headboard of the bed, her eyes wide with terror.

Aaron froze, his heart aching at the sight of her distress. He held up his hands in a gesture of surrender, taking a step back to give her space.

"I won't harm you," he reassured her, his voice gentle and soothing. "I'm the one who found you on the street last night. You were injured, and I couldn't leave you there alone."

Amelia's eyes searched his face, searching for any hint of deception. She couldn't shake the feeling of dread that gripped her heart.

"I called a doctor," Aaron continued, his voice calm and steady. "He bandaged your wounds, but you were unconscious for hours."

Amelia's mind raced, trying to piece together the fragments of memory that eluded her. She remembered the fall of the car from the cliff, the darkness of the road and the sound of screeching tires,but everything else was a blur.

"Why did you help me," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

Aaron's heart ached at the pain in her voice, the confusion and fear that clouded her eyes. He wished he could erase the memory of her pain, the terror she must have felt lying alone on the cold street.

"I couldn't leave you there," he said simply, his voice filled with sincerity. "I couldn't bear the thought of something terrible happening to you. You needed help, and I couldn't turn my back on you."

Still Amelia's eyes were filled with disbelief. She looked at Aaron's face, searching for any sign of deceit, but all she saw was kindness and compassion.

"Who are you?" she asked, her voice trembling with a mixture of fear and confusion.

Aaron's heart ached at the sight of her distress. "My name is Aaron," he began, his voice gentle yet firm. "And what is your... name, miss?"

Amelia's lips parted, her breath catching in her throat as she struggled to find the right words "Amelia," she finally managed, her voice barely more than a breathless whisper. "My name is Amelia."

Aaron nodded, a flicker of relief in his eyes "Amelia," he repeated, "you can trust me I am not a bad person."

Suddenly Aaron heard a knock on the door As he opened the door, his mother's concerned gaze fell upon the unfamiliar girl seated on the bed. "Who is this girl, Aaron?" she inquired, her voice laced with worry.

Aaron took a deep breath, preparing himself to explain the situation to his mother. "Mom, let's go outside first," he began, gesturing towards the corridor. "Mom, her name is Amelia.". Hearing that, Aaron's mom excitedly asked, "Could it be that she is your girlfriend?"

Stop your weird imagination, mom "I found her unconscious on the road last night. She was badly injured, and I couldn't leave her there."

His mother's eyes widened in surprise and concern. "Oh my goodness, is she okay? What happened to her?"

"She's stable now," Aaron reassured her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I called a doctor last night, and he bandaged her wounds. But she's still shaken up and it looks like she is scared of me."

His mother nodded, her worry evident. "That's terrible. Do you know anything about her? Does she have family we can contact?"

Aaron hesitated, glancing back at the room in which Amelia is staying. "She's... reluctant to talk about her family," he explained carefully. "I think she's been through something traumatic. Right now, I just want to make sure she feels safe."

His mother nodded in understanding, her maternal instincts kicking in. "Of course, dear. We'll do whatever we can to help her."

Aaron let out a sigh of relief, grateful for his mother's understanding. "Thank you, mom. I want you to take care of her. I think it will take time for her to be comfortable around me."

Aaron's mother smiled warmly at him, pride shining in her eyes. "I raised you to be a kind and compassionate person, Aaron. I know what you are doing is right so, I will help her."

"Together, they returned to the room where Amelia sat, her eyes darting nervously between them. Aaron approached her gently, offering a reassuring smile. "Amelia, this is my mom." If you need any help, you can ask her."

Amelia nodded cautiously, still visibly shaken.

Aaron's mother moved closer, her expression softening with empathy. "You're safe here, dear. Don't worry, we'll take care of you."