CHAPTER SEVEN

Page count: 7

An hour later Dean pulled over at a gas station and while he was filling up the tank, Sam turned to Hermione.

"Hey, Hermione," he called, but she didn't wake.

He shifted in his seat and turned to reach back, as soon as his hand was about to touch her shoulder, she bolted upright and had her wand pressed against the side of his throat. His eyes widened and he felt fear flood through him at the feral look in her eyes.

She blinked several times before gasping and removing her wand from against his throat. "I'm so sorry, Sam," she said, her eyes full of shame and practically begging for forgiveness.

"It's alright; I guess I should've been more careful, I forgot that you're a war veteran. Next time I'll be more cautious, it wasn't your fault, honestly. I'm glad to see that you've got sharp reflexes though." She slowly nodded and put her wand back in her boot. "We're stopped at a gas station, I thought I'd wake you in case you needed the bathroom."

"Thank you, I'll be right back."

She climbed over the seat and stepped out of the car, she noticed Dean watching her from the corner of her eyes but ignored it as she headed to the bathroom and she didn't bother looking disgusted at the state of it, she'd seen her fair share of horrifying restrooms and surprisingly, this one didn't even come close to the one in Charlie Weasley's old bachelor pad.

She cast a Cleaning Charm on the toilet before quickly relieving her bladder and moving to the sink to wash her hands. She pressed the cold water against her face to help calm her down. She looked at herself in the mirror and she saw the haunted look in her eyes.

Memories, they wouldn't leave her alone, she was careful with how much Dreamless Sleep she ingested, no more than two a week in fear of becoming addicted. When she didn't take the potion, she either didn't sleep at all, got drunk and passed out or only managed sleep for a few hours before her memories were too much for her to handle and she woke. For that reason Hermione was tired, she was tired all the time but she had learned to live with it. She could function on a lot less sleep than a regular person, unlike Ronald who needed a good ten hours before he even contemplated getting out of bed, she could go with a mere three hours.

She sighed before grabbing a paper towel to dry her face and hands and she pulled her beaded bag out of her boot before finding some American money which she placed in the pocket of her jeans, she repositioned her beaded bag and then left the bathroom, heading into the building since she was starving.

She quickly purchased several bottles of water, three sandwiches and a bag filled with chocolate and sweets, enough to have her parents rolling in their graves. With a smile and a kind farewell to the old man behind the counter, she left out the door and headed back to the car. Dean was leaning against the side of the car, obviously waiting for her to get in before he did himself.

He had a scowl on his face, she suspected he tried to leave without her and Sam had blatantly refused. She smirked and Dean's scowl deepened when he quickly caught on that she knew what his plan had been. She climbed over the seat and plopped herself down comfortably and she noticed Sam shaking his head and giving Dean a knowing look.

Hermione knew that Dean had been staring at her arse during her trip into the back seat, she could feel his eyes on her and her smirk widened. He made a sound of irritation when once more he realised that she'd been onto him and she knew exactly what he'd done.

They pulled out of the station and continued on their journey.

"I'm starving so I bought food, I have water and chocolate and other sugary goodness, and I wasn't sure which sandwiches you would prefer so I just picked at random," Hermione spoke, they both turned to look back at her surprised that she had bought them food. "BLT, chicken salad or chicken and bacon, fight amongst yourselves, boys," she said, picking the BLT for herself and passing forward the other two sandwiches.