Chapter Thirty-Two: The Same Mirror

______

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO: THE SAME MIRROR

______

Holding her beating heart, she hadn't heard a single thing that could imply someone had gotten in, especially in the dressing room of all places. It was unthinkable. Mizu was like smoke.

The moon seeped in from the circular-shaped arch, and a cushioned bench was attached to it. Pairs would sit by the window and gaze up at the moon, letting its light glow on their faces. But Mizu didn't stand under it. She was off to the side, missing the light and standing in the darkness. The pool of moonlight fell to the floor in front of her, barely touching her shoes as she leaned back. She was very comfortable there in the dark, slouched with crossed arms.

Sogo was so frazzled that she nearly failed to acknowledge Mizu's compliment. A moment ago she was overjoyed at how beautiful she looked, like a princess. But now, the golden ornate tassels framing her hair felt heavy and too much.

"Th-thank you."

Mizu offered her open hand. It entered the touch of the moonlight.

"Mind if I take a closer look?"

Her palm faced up, catching the twilight glow as it seeped through her fingers.

Sogo pinched the skirt of her kimono and drew it up to her hips to clear the way, barefoot. It was not properly tailored to her height because of the short notice. Mizu watched the mirror as it offered the tinted reflection of the obi cinching her waist.

She stopped in front of the shadowed samurai, just shy of the moonlight.

She took Mizu's hand, their touch turning brilliant under the powerful moon. Mizu softly closed her hold below, and brought her closer, pulling Sogo directly under the light. Between their bodies was the perfect divide of light and darkness.

Mizu took her back off the wall, standing straight by the shadows of the room. Before taking a proper look at her, she turned her chiseled face to pull off her lenses. Grateful for the thick white makeup, Sogo blushed profusely. She took in every detail of her face, illuminated by the moon.

Sogo's fingers squeezed Mizu's uncomfortably as she turned her face away. "Y-you don't like it?"

Mizu's hand held her chin and she turned her face further up than before. She gulped, her neck outstretched to meet the samurai's bright blue eyes, even in her dark corner. Mizu's stare fell on the makeup on her brows,  the red liner on her under-eye, and the powder falling on the bridge of her nose. Until finally, her attention fell on her bright red lips. She watched as Sogo pressed them together, gulping down again.

Mizu looked quite... unaffected. On closer look, it even looked like she was dissatisfied by it all. The get-up was a traditional performance of feminity that stirred something long-unwelcomed inside her. A fleshy peach on a platter to be eaten alive.