Chapter Forty-Three: Sogo is Always Right

_______

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE: SOGO IS ALWAYS RIGHT

_______

"Can I speak freely with you..?"

Their bodies were intertwined afterward surrounded by the quiet sounds of the ship gently stirring in the water. Mizu rested her face in the crook of Sogo's neck, her legs divided hers as Sogo's warm arms embraced her. All Mizu wanted was to be close, to be near her as much as possible. She was softer after their intimacy, a little shy even.

The rabbit was carried back inside from the hallway. It slept at the edge of their bed. Its white fur looked like a big ball of fluff as it slipped into dreamland.

"But of course," Sogo's cheek pressed against the top of Mizu's hair. To ask permission to be vulnerable was ridiculous, but that's how Mizu was. She wanted to hold her forever like this, cradled in her arms.

"The story the commander told you of the moon rabbit. My mother told me it too, but a different version."

She never spoke about her mother, but here she was, pouring the memories out.

"...it isn't a happy ending, what she shared. Sure, the moon rabbit creates an elixir of immortality, but it wasn't meant for humanity. Not to help us. It was always meant to be for the gods. Humans deserved to die."

Mizu's fingers gently swirled around Sogo's protruding collarbones. She stared at her creamy skin like it was a life jacket as she fell into the deep waters of her subconscious.

"...the story my mom told me was about the moon goddess, Chang'e, who you compared me to earlier in your silly flirtations."

Sogo could've smiled at that, but something about Mizu's voice told her it was unwelcomed, and even though she had no idea she felt responsible.

"I'm sorry..."

"Sorry?" her fingertips spread over her collarbones until her palm stretched out completely. "...It made me happy because I admired her."

Mizu pressed her lips together. A heaviness weighed in her chest that she wanted out. Sogo's palm caressed her cheek, and she tilted her face against it for more.

"In my mother's story, the moon goddess was born human. To get away from her warrior husband, she stole his elixir of immortality, gifted to him by the gods as reward for fighting in their honor. She fled to the moon to make her eternal residence as goddess... My entire childhood, I was shut inside like a prisoner. I wanted to flee to the moon just like Chang'e. I wanted to steal the elixir."

Embarrassed by this confession, Mizu felt her cheeks burn. She held Sogo tighter and buried her face back in her neck. She shut her eyes so tight that she saw little stars behind her eyelids.