Chapter Thirty-Four: The Moon Rabbit

________

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR: THE MOON RABBIT________

________

Mizu was impatient as hell sitting up there. In Madame Kaji's house, she waited for hours with Ringo just to speak to her. Here, she found it hard to allow another second.

She sat like a cloaked vulture staring down at her prey, cheek resting on her palm. Low-lit candles flickered around them, making the jewelry in Sogo's hair glow like planets orbiting the raven galaxy of her hair.

To make things more annoying, she couldn't understand a word. It made her mull about London in a few months time. She had to get on track with her English learning, so she could never be left out again...

Van Ruyven looked up as if hearing something odd. Perched on her spot a mere second ago, Mizu vanished. Her flexibility and core strength gave her the agility of a black cat.

The commander looked back to the woman in front of him. She had her back turned, preparing their drink.

Mizu was on edge, thinking he would notice she was pouring something extra for him. Right in the sleeve of her kimono was Chia-Wei's vial. With nimble fingers, she uncorked it and poured a generous amount into one of the cups.

She turned around with two cups of warm sake in her hands, the steam flowing like a curling finger. He suspected nothing.

Mizu felt like she could breathe again. Good girl.

He happily accepted the drink, thanked her, and asked her to sit by the window. As they made their way there, Mizu readjusted her position in the ceiling, just out of his line of sight.

Holding her sake, Sogo watched with large eyes as he brought his cup to his lips. He smelled the alcohol, released an approving sigh at its delicious smell, and then sipped half of it in one gulp.

Her eyes briefly darted up to the ceiling to look for Mizu there, but she was an undetectable shadow.

She felt his heavy arm suddenly go around her, and her body went on high alert. He brought her close to his chest, his arms caressing the waistline of her kimono as his fingers nearly touched her breast. She wondered how long the sedative would take to kick in...

"Yue," he said, "Hey, Yue."

It nearly slipped her mind she gave him a moniker. "Yes?"

"You are named after the moon."

"That's right. Your linguistic skills are excellent."

"Heh, well, when you're stuck on this shithole as long as I've been..."

"Stuck?"

"Eh... something like forcibly stationed here. The governor has it out for me."

She didn't say anything, wanting him to continue, but he said nothing more about it. Instead, he turned her body to look out the window with him, and he pointed at the moon's surface. He asked her to guess what the craters looked like.