Chapter Forty-Six: Paradise

__________

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX: PARADISE

__________

Mizu exited the abandoned home of the rebellion's base, and she made her way through the emerald forest like a silent shadow. Before she could get too far, Bokeh caught up to her with a large envelope of money. The golden sun above them made the beige envelope look full of light.

"And this is for?" she asked.

"You're a paid mercenary, aren't you?"

Her attention turned to the abandoned home some ways away. Two of the militia were outside and looking in their direction, watching, but not close enough to hear.

It looked better for Bokeh if this was the case. She took the envelope.

"Guess I am now."

She passed through the forest like a silent wanderer. The stirrings of nature were so much calmer than humanity. It reminded her of her days at sea by herself, how calming the waves were. Whenever she felt too heavy, she returned to nature.

She passed by an old Taoist temple. Run down and unkept, grass and moss consumed the stones. Since the settlers came, Taoism slowly slipped away.

She considered stopping there for a brief moment. Taoism was old and forgotten in Japan. There was room for more modern religions now, like Shinto and Buddhism, but maybe there was incense to pray to...

She wondered, why was she still here? Did she feel so personally responsible for these orphaned children, that she simply had to help the rebellion? The islanders would still neglect them.

Was it all a waste of time?

She willed her feet to move towards the moss-covered temple when suddenly she felt a little grip on the back of her shirt. She turned around and saw a small boy, barely up to her knees.

Her eyes widened at the wild sight. His hair was red like an amazing fire, a blaze more vibrant than Fowler's, and it contradicted his monolid, charcoal eyes. He was sunburned from head to toe, and the tan-orange of his skin made him look even more like fire with that ginger coat of his. He had freckles splattered all over his cheeks. His sweetly slanted eyes were the only thing Asian about him.

"Big brother," he groaned. "I-I'm really hungry."

The wretched sight caused a stab in her heart. She gasped out as if she was genuinely punched.

Frazzled, she reached into the money Bokeh gave her to hand him a few bills. But then she thought, if this poor soul went into a store to eat, they'd accuse him of stealing someone else's money and then yank it from his hand. She remembered when it happened to her.

His downturned lashes looked up at her. They were filled with flaky crust. His curly, rouge locks were matted like a cobweb, and the dirty kimono around his body looked too small.