The Memory of an Elephant.

Meanwhile, at the Chameleon's fortress. In front of the main entrance, four crime bosses were seated at a long table as they were given tea served in miniature cups on a tiny platter. Something that would be the right size for someone very tiny themselves.

Each of them wore a golden brooch which had four curved angles going inward, along with some extra detailed designs inscribed into it. They used to wear them with pride, but that had almost completely fizzled out as time went by. They were still waiting for their associate, the fifth crime boss to arrive and in the meantime, they chatted.

"She better has a good reason for dragging us all the way up here." The bear spoke.

"I hope that for her. Ever since she got in charge, tributes have only doubled and we barely get half of it back." The badger nodded, inspecting the tiny tea cup.

"It's like a criminal can't make an honest living anymore." The wolf nodded as she replaced the small tray in front of her a bit more aligned. The boar simply snorted.

"I was already growing tired of going to these meetings anyway. Does she think I haven't got any clients of my own to deal with? I can't keep canceling them!"

"Is that latecomer planning on coming today or do we really need-..."

"My apologies, dear friends! Took me a while, but I'm present at last."

The wolf got interrupted by their croc comrade making his way up the stairs and took a seat. Thinking nothing of it and rather letting their irritation sink away, the bear said.

"I thought it was supposed to get better for us when that ol' windbag conked out, but now we're stuck what that bug-eyed, power-hungry reptilian runt!"

"You left out the evil sorceress part. Although... if it weren't for her after Shu Hui's passing, we'd still think gambling and conning was any more luxurious than this. Right?" The croc tried lighting up the mood, but his attempt was futile.

"Well, you sent her multiple letters telling her you'd be no longer a loyal ally to her. How did that go?" The badger asked as the croc pointed at his right eye, which had been blinded.

"You've been half blind for years! And even then she allowed you protection money and everything else, so what's the real deal here?!" The wolf interrogated with a snarl. The bear simply hummed and then told them.

"Together, we can take her down."

Hearing that made the crime bosses gasp and scan the room, afraid of getting caught saying it or have the one think that they were already in on something. The croc snapped.

"Are you nuts?! She's a shapeshifter! She could be at this very table and we'd have no idea."

The crime bosses glanced at each other after the croc said that, hoping that it couldn't be the case. If that were so, they definitely would've recognized the shapeshifter long before this meeting.

"For all we know you're the Chameleon!" The croc pointed at the badger, then at the bear.

"Or you're the Chameleon!" Followed by.

"Heck, maybe she's hiding between those guys and watches us from there!" He pointed at the Komodo guards surrounding the table, before looking up at the fortress's entrance, where the scarred and half-blinded Komodo soldier stood.

He ascended down the steps and cleared his throats with a scroll in his hand.

"Gents and lady, it disappoints me that I have to say this, but I'm afraid your friend won't be able to attend today's meeting. He's been pronounced dead months ago."