36

Friday I'm In Love - Recorded at Spotify Studios NYC - Phoebe Bridgers

"Okay, listen to what I've booked." Luke says, squinting his eyes at the laptop, as Sierra walks into the study with a bowl of peeled fruit. "We fly from Edinburgh to Madrid, and then-"

"Madrid!" she jumps beside him. "Oh my god, it's probably still a bit warm there," she says, looking out of the wet, raindrop-covered window.

He nods. "Exactly. And then we take a bus to Frankfurt, and from there a train to Prague, and then we fly back home."

Luke doesn't go on vacations; he travels. And that includes spending the night on a train or sleeping in the airport to not pay for a hotel or not using public transport unless there's absolutely no way to get to the desired destination on foot. It also means eating as little as possible, but he might reconsider that rule for Sierra because a hungry girlfriend isn't something one would want to mess with.

"This is perfect." she kisses the top of his head and places the half-empty bowl on the desk in front of him before getting into his lap. "Is it expensive?"

"Don't worry about it; I used my savings." he brushes her off, quickly closing the tabs on the computer.

"All of it?"

"I'll get a job after we get back. With Calum. It's okay." he kisses her cheek and gently shoves her passport in her hands, telling her he's done filling up their information.

After dropping Petunia off at Calum's place, saying their goodbyes for a whole week, and promising to send pictures of everything they do, see, and eat, Luke and Sierra finally head for the airport with Calum driving them and complaining about the grey weather. Luke seems to be the only one enjoying wearing a warm hoodie with a few T-shirts underneath-he's not paying for additional luggage-and having another excuse to snuggle Sierra closer to him. She almost falls asleep again, as the sun has barely risen, but opens her eyes as soon as Calum parks the car in the empty street, and she doesn't forget to hug him either, although she definitely doesn't hear a word he says when he tells them to behave abroad.

Luke checked all their bags in the car, but for some reason-probably boredom-the security still stops Sierra to open her backpack and make sure she's not a drug dealer. And, oh man, do they take their time with her. They're trying their best to stress her out by going over each item in her makeup bag and checking if it's actually a hundred millilitres.

Luke expects to see a long face when she finally exits the security area, but to his surprise, she calls it their 'first travel adventure together'. The sun is already getting to them through the huge windows in the departure area as they take their seats by the gate an hour before the flight.

"So tell me, how do you do this thing? Traveling." Sierra asks, clinging to him again, now wide awake and listening to his quiet heartbeat.

"What do you mean?" he puts his phone away and moves his eyes to look at her.

"I've been to maybe five countries in my entire life, and you've basically been everywhere." he hasn't. He's visited twenty-seven cities, according to his list. "So, what do you do on trips?"

"For the record, all the places we're visiting this week are the first time for me too." Luke specifies. "But I usually just do some basic sightseeing."

"You didn't plan anything for our trip. How do you see places?"

"Promise not to laugh?" she nods, preparing to hold in her laughter. "Churches. I simply open the map and go into every church I see while also walking around the city and seeing stuff."