Capture Of The Flag

The next morning, Luke walked Perci into the fields where the campers were gathered with shields and swords in their hands.

Luke told her "You're gonna love this. Camp-wide mock warfare, all glory to the victors. Alexander's the head counselor of the Athena cabin. He's led our team to three straight wins. Been a long time since anyone's won a fourth."

"He was there in the bathroom. He said she'd been waiting for it to happen."Perci said.

"Alexander sees the world differently. Always six steps ahead of everyone else. You should cut him a break."Luke said and Perci squinted at him.

"Who's side are you on, anywyay?"Perci asked.

"Oh, his, always. He's my little brother. Maybe I should back on."Luke said with no hesitation.

He took her to the Mess Hall so they could talk. Perci sat on the opposite side of Luke so they could face each other.

Luke said "Before camp, I was on the road. Me and a forbidden kid I met along the way. Her name was Thalia."

"And what does that mean, forbidden?"Perci asked.

"A long time ago, Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades agreed their children were becoming too powerful, so they made a pact not to father any more. And it held for a long time, until Zeus broke that pact. Until Thalia. A forbidden kid attracts trouble. Monsters everywhere, it's just a constant battle to stay alive. One day, we, uh, find this boy hiding in an alley. Alexander. We were worried about taking him i, exposing him to all that danger. Then we saw him fight. Thalia didn't make it. But Alexander and me...we did. And we've been family ever since."Luke explained.

Listening to Luke tell her his past, it made Perci respect him, trust him more. She felt bad for his friend that passed away.

"He's been watching me since I got here. Why?"Perci asked.

"Alexander is the strongest warrior in camp. The only way left to prove himself is to go on a quest."Luke said.

"And what does that have to do with me?"Perci asked.

"Chiron's been promising him for years. One day, a demigod would arrive who was fated to go on a quest that even Chiron couldn't prevent. And when that happened, he could join. Every new arrival, Alexander looking for a sign they're the one. Usually, he gives up after a day or two, but he's still watching you."Luke said.

"Could you ask her, to, uh, stop?"Perci asked him.

Luke chuckled "Yeah, sure. But what if he's right?"

Suddenly the sound of a conch shell filled Perci's ears. She saw Chiron walk into the middle of the Mess Hall and said "Heroes... it's time. The game begins."

He then spoke "The first team to retrieve the opposing flag and return it across the river shall be the victor. As always, there will be no maiming and no killing. I trust these rules will be respected. Any magical items you may possess, are permitted as well."

Perci messed with the cap of her sword-pen. She didn't really feel like doing this but she had no choice so she couldn't back out.

"It's okay. Let her rip. You'll be fine."Luke whispered to her.

"I don't even know what my job is. Let alone have much confidence to do it."Perci whispered back to him.

The conch shell blew again, and the red team scream battle cries. Alexander walked up to where Perci and Luke were standing.

Alexander told Luke "All right. We have 20 minutes before the second conch and game-on."

"Yes, Sir."Luke smiled, going to walk away until Alexander stopped him "Hey. Today feel like a winning kind of day to you?"