Seeing Her Mom Again

Luke and Perci arrived to the streets of Manhatton. They caught a taxi to her mom's apartment, rang the door-bell and there she was--- her beautiful mother, smelling of peppermint, and liquorice, the weariness and worrry evaporating from her face as soon as she saw Perci.

Perci was wearing a top with a leather jacket, a jean and some boots.

"Perci! Oh thank godness. Oh my baby."Julie said.

She crushed the air out of Perci. They stood in the hallway as she cried and ran her hands through her daughter's hair, as Perci started to cry and hold onto her just as tightly. Luke stepped back, leaning against the wall as Julie pulled away to check her over.

She told her of how Hades sent her home to thank Perci for pleading his case to his brothers. She'd been going out of her mind with worry all day because she hadn't known where she was. Gabe had forced her to go into work, saying she had a month salary's to make up and she'd better get started.

Perci swallowed back her anger and told her her own story. She tried to make it sound less scary than it had been but that wasn't easy. She was just getting to the fight with Ares, with Luke chiming in at points, when Gabe's voice interrupted from the living room "Hey, Sally! That meat loaf done yet or what?"

She closed her eyes and said "He isn't going to be happy to see you, Perci. The store got half a million phone calls today from Los Angeles... something about free appliances."

"Oh, yeah. Forgot I said that..."Perci said.

She managed a weak smile as she told her daughter "Just don't make him angrier, all right? Come on in, both of you."

In the month she'd been gone, the apartment had turned into Gabeland. Garbabge was ankle deep on the carpet. The sofa had been reupholstered in beer cans. Dirty socks and underwear hung off the lampshades. Luke rested a hand on Perci's shoulder as she trembled with anger, taking Riptide from her hand slowly.

Gabe and three of his big goony friends were playing poker at the table.

When Gabe saw her, his cigar dropped out of his mouth. His face got redder than lava and said bitterly "You got nerve coming here, you little punk. I thought the police..."

"She's not a fugitive after all. Isn't that wonderful, Gabe?"Julie interjected.

Gabe looked back and forth between them. He didn't seem to think her homecoming was so wonderful.

"Bad enough I had to give back your life insurance money, Julie. Get me the phone. I'll call the cops."He growled.

"Gabe, no!"Julie said.

"Did you just say 'no"? You think I'm gonna put up with this punk again? I can still press charges against her for runing my Camaro."Gabe scoffed.

"I wasn't even driving your stupid car!"Perci growled in indignation.