20. Portal

Louis’ POV:

The walk back to the portal was awkward and I helped make it that way.
I had just left my class to go out for lunch when my phone started buzzing. When I checked to see what the ruckus was about I saw a video of a very scared skye. She looked terrified and I couldn't help her. I was about to run to her when Stella texted me to come to her car. I knew that she had found skye and that she was safe now but it did nothing to ease my anger. 
Just this morning I had asked her to be more careful,to tell me about her problems instead of pushing me away but she didn't listen. 
This couldn't have happened out of nowhere. She can't just forget where she is, it has always been a pattern. 
Last time mom had asked her to tell her immediately if anything remotely close to this happened, but she didn't. 
She still doesn't trust me. 

Skye finally broke the silence. 
“How did you know?” She asked. 
“I saw you.” I lied. 
‘She doesn't need to know about the video.’ I told myself. 
“You saw me but you didn't come to help me?” She asked, confusion etched on her face.
Shit.
“I was going to but Stella saw you first and I thought it's best to give you space.” I made up an excuse.
“I didn't need space, I needed my friend.” Was the last thing she said before going through the portal my mom had created for us. 
Now I just felt like a dick for lying in the first place.
I can't do one thing without screwing up.
I sigh and follow her through the portal. 

Mom greets us on the other side. I already told her what happened so she didn't ask us anything, just gave us her car keys and let us go back home.
Before I could leave mom pulled me aside. 
“Do not be angry with her. She can't control it and if you can convince her to come to the hospital tomorrow so I can check on her” she says in a no nonsense tone.
“I wasn't going to be mad at her and I know she can’t control it but she can be a little more careful.” I lie annoyed at my mother as she always takes Skye’s side.
“Careful with what exactly?” mom asked.
“Uhh…..everything.” I blurted.
“Like you are?” she asked.
“Fine,I get it. Now let me go before she vanishes again.” I finally said and left the hospital and ran to catch up with skye who wasn't much ahead of me.

Skye was quiet for the most part of the car ride back home. 
Usually mom creates the portal directly inside the house but today was a different sinerio so she had to use her powers at her workplace. 
She doesn't like to show everyone what she can do, she isn't ashamed of it but she thinks it's best to keep some things to oneself. 
At one point I wondered if skye’s asleep but she wasn't. Instead she was staring out the window, unmoving.
Maybe I shouldn't have been so rude. Moms right it's not her fault but anything could have happened today.
Our school isn't exactly the safest place. Everyone in that school has powers, dangerous, destructive powers. 
If she had accidentally bumped into anyone or tried to talk to the wrong person, she could have been seriously hurt or worse. 
Not that anyone would hurt her on purpose but everyone can't control their powers. 
Same way I couldn't.