22. Home

I had promised Lou that I would come downstairs when I felt better but I don't want to go down.
I don't want everyone to look at me with concern and ask me questions I can not answer.
I know that these people took me in in my time of need and helped me through everything in these past few months but I hate confrontations.
I can't stand the idea of being the victim and being coddled all the time.
And I want to prove that they don't need to worry about me all the time but the second I start getting my life on track something bad happens and I'm back at square one.
I've been going back and forth for six months now and it is frustrating.
I don't know if I'm ever gonna get my memories back but I know that I can't keep living like this.
I need to get back some control.
Starting with my powers.

As I climb down the stairs and walk towards the living room, I hear a very familiar voice when I remember Louis telling me about granny's return.
She had been away for some time but now she is back and just the thought made me feel better.
I stand at the doorway not knowing what to do when Dr.Xavier spots me.
“Come on in, darling. We've been waiting for you. Feeling any better?” She asks as she ushers me into the room.
“Yeah. Thank you.” I reply quietly.
“There you are. Come here, love. I haven't seen you all day” granny says as she steps into the room from the kitchen and pulls me into a warm hug.
I know that she isn't my real family but she asked me to call her granny just like Louis does.
Until now I hadn't realised how much I needed it.
I hugged her back tightly and for the first time since I came into this house, she was the first one to let go.
“Look at you. You're all pale. Did you even eat anything? Didn't I tell you you need to eat more?” She cooed at me without letting go of my hand.
“Mom at least let her sit before bombarding her with questions.” Dr.Xavier interrupted her questions as we sat down.
“I've missed you, grans” I said softly.
“I've missed you too, sweetheart. And looking at you now makes me wonder ‘if I should have left in the first place?’” she asked, stroking my hair lovingly.
It took everything in me to not start crying.
Somehow I held it together.
“Hey kid. Didn't see you at dinner, you good?” Mr. Xavier asked me, ruffling my hair.
“Yes, sir. I'm much better now.” I said, smiling. Probably my first genuine smile since yesterday.
“Good. By the way, you are going to the hospital with soph.” He ordered.
“What? But what about school?” I asked.
“You can miss a day of school and if and only if you are cleared by the doctor then you can start work again.” he said in a no nonsense tone.
“Sir, I'm fine. You don't need to worry.” I tried to sound convincing but he wasn't having it today.
“That's not for you to decide, kid. You don't get to choose who cares about you.” he told me.
“Arthur’s right darling. Let me have a look at you, just for my sanity. Please.” Dr. Xavier  requested.
I looked towards Louis for help but he only raised his hands in surrender.
“Okay” I replied.
“Good. Now who wants ice cream?” Mr. Xavier asked.
“ME” Louis shouted.
We all laughed at his childishness and for a moment I almost forgot how crappy my life actually is.
Being around these amazing people.
It felt right.
It felt like home.