5. Getting Used to the New Surroundings

Pov: Oliver

On this cool, slightly rainy morning, I awoke in confusion. I was lying in a warm, soft bed, something I had never experienced before since the beds at my home were always hard. Everything around was new and unusual, from the room's setup to the very atmosphere. For a moment, I thought I was still dreaming. But no, after a few seconds of bewilderment, I remembered that we had been sheltered, and I was now in the house of those who had taken us in.

I got up and stretched, trying to get my mind working. Opening the wardrobe, I found my laundered, clean clothes. Breathing a sigh of relief, I quickly dressed, hoping never to be forced to wear the clothes provided by the house owners again. I felt uncomfortable in them; they were too lavish and polished for my liking.

On the nightstand, I noticed a roll of new bandages. Removing my old ones and revealing the burns, I carefully rewrapped the left side of my face. This action seemed like a familiar ritual, despite its oddity.

Approaching Hio, I tried to wake him, but he was sound asleep, unresponsive to my attempts. Yes, he hadn't slept the previous night; sleep now wouldn't easily release him from its embrace. Deciding he truly needed the rest, I left him alone and quietly exited the room, unlocking the door with a key from the nightstand. The corridor was silent. I entered the bathroom to wash up, then headed down the hallway to the stairs. Descending to the first floor, I felt a bit lost in this large house; it seemed to have endless rooms and too many art pieces. I decided to go outside, and fortunately, the door was open. However, on the threshold, I saw Big Al standing alone, lighting his pipe. He appeared lost in his thoughts. I hesitated, unsure whether to disturb him or return inside, but the door creaked treacherously, drawing his attention.

— Oh, Oliver! — exclaimed the man with his strong voice, turning to me and smiling calmly, — Good morning... are you an early bird, or did you just go to bed too early yesterday?

— Um... the latter... — I quietly replied, carefully closing the door behind me.

— You always carry James on your arm, right? — the man asked, looking at the toy on my wrist, making me slightly admire that he remembered its name. Usually, people didn't take it seriously, but James had been my closest friend since I was eight, even though he had been remade a few times.

"Yes, because James and Oliver are best friends! Oliver mentioned this at dinner last night, didn't you listen?" — extending my arm with the toy towards the man, and moving the beak and hands of the doll, I spoke in a squeaky voice, meant to imitate chirping, grinning slyly.

— Let's not make accusations, James...! — I frowned and pouted, turning James towards myself and poking him on the beak. Then I turned him back around and James bowed to Al as an apology.

The man looked at me puzzled, but then laughed loudly in his way, placing a hand on my head and roughly ruffling my already tousled hair.

— Ha-ha, you're so funny! — Al laughed, removing his hand, — You're quite good at ventriloquism, you should consider performing puppet shows, ha-ha!

— Ah... thank you... — I replied, embarrassed, slightly adjusting my hair, — Um... so, you wake up early, right?

— Yes, unlike my wife and daughter — I'm an early bird. I usually wake up at 7, do some exercises in the gym in our basement, and then take a leisurely walk. Would you like to join me for a walk...? — Al asked, placing his pipe on a stand that seemed designed for it.

— No... — I replied, turning my head away.

— Maybe we could just walk around our garden, hmm? — he suggested, seemingly eager to spend some time with me.