12. Strengthening Bonds

Pov: Oliver

It was a typical day and I was busy with my usual routines — wandering around the town and tuning into people's conversations. Yohi, the devil take him, was once again indulging his sole talent — spreading rumors, and I decided not to confront him about it. He had advised me not to talk too much and promised to quit himself, but now he had broken that promise, so it was unlikely he would change if I talked to him... he didn't want to, he wanted to gossip... and since he broke his promise for the sake of attention, I might as well do the same...

I was sure one of the rumors being discussed by passersby originated from Yohi. The second rumor, about a burned church and a boy arsonist, I hadn't directly linked to my "brother," but I had my suspicions. Well, I wasn't about to argue with my temptations and instincts — it was too foolish to restrain myself over a broken agreement; I could start my little venture, which entertains and alleviates the boredom of life... and people listen to me, take my words seriously, no matter how sweetly I might appear. So, I wandered here, listening to everything and scouting for something intriguing. And what's intriguing to listen to? Dirty little secrets!

However, in this city it was harder to watch people compared to our old town; this city is big, there are many people, and many conversations, making it challenging to pick out the more interesting stories. Yet, on the other hand, there are more secrets among the people here, not necessarily more secrets per se, but more people with secrets!

Once again, as I stood at the entrance of a building where two young men chatted about another secret, Fukase and his crew appeared. I noticed them and raised my hand as if greeting Fukase, and he responded in kind, though to the displeasure of his friends, he began approaching me.

— Hello, Oliver... — he said, standing in front of me and leaving his friends slightly behind, — Quite a few interesting rumors have popped up in our town... Are you and your brother involved?

I smiled awkwardly, trying to maintain my composure.

— Yeah, I've heard something. It seems one of the rumors belongs to him, although, maybe it's just me. — I replied, warily watching Fukase's friends who clenched their fists, intimidating me.

— I see... — the guy muttered, frowning slightly and looking away, — Don't you want to hang out with us?

— Fukase! — Len exclaimed, touching the guy's shoulder, — Let's go. We don't need him!

— Come on... he's a good guy, he just slipped up... — Fukase shrugged off Len's hand. I was surprised and somewhat baffled; I had literally disgraced him, and now he was inviting me to hang out with him? Maybe it was related to the similarity of our scars, even though I hid mine...? Maybe he finds it comforting not to be alone with such scars on his face? — Will you come?

— Uh... yes, of course. — I responded, slightly flustered by the situation.

The other guys clearly weren't pleased, but Fukase appeared calm and satisfied with my response. Despite the boys' displeasure, I stood next to Fukase, away from the others, and we began our walk as a group of five.

While walking with Fukase and his friends — Len, Piko, and Miki — I mostly observed their interactions in silence. I felt somewhat alienated the whole time, as I'd never had close friends and found it difficult to blend into the group, especially since they were obviously hostile towards me.

— Have you heard about the new toy shop that opened on the corner? — Len suddenly asked, turning to Piko.

— Yeah, I passed by but didn't go in, — replied Piko, his eyes lighting up, — Are you talking about those mechanical toys that wind up with those keys, or whatever those things are called that wind up the mechanisms in such toys?