17. A Day Full of Blood

POV: Oliver

The Sunday turned out unexpectedly warm, and Yohi, Big Al, and I decided to take a stroll through the city. We had just left the market where we bought some groceries; Yohi and I went there of our own volition, not at Al's request. Yohi simply wanted to walk, Al suggested we accompany him, and I tagged along.

As we walked through the streets, Yohi and Al engaged in various conversations, particularly about Al's work. He mentioned again how he's been dealing with an increased number of complaints about deceitful tattlers and secrets that, according to the complainers, should have remained private. Yohi seemed remarkably calm during this discussion, his serene and carefree demeanor seemingly deflecting any suspicions from us both. We continued our way, chatting about various things, and I listened intently. Suddenly, I noticed a familiar girl with blue hair tied in twin tails in the crowd. Our eyes met, and I immediately realized she recognized me. Her gaze was filled with anger and resentment. Running into her was the worst thing that could have happened to us here... she could spill too much about Yohi and me, which could easily be linked to the rising number of tattlers in the city. She was the very girl Yohi had falsely accused of being promiscuous in our old town, and I had spread the rumor that she drowned her children, which was true but severely tarnished her reputation. Her name was Miku.

I glanced at Yohi and Al, who continued their conversation, oblivious to my concern. What should I have done? What could I say? As the girl approached us, my nervousness grew, but just blurting out, "Hey, this is the girl whose life we ruined, and she seems angry," was not an option, as Al would definitely not overlook it.

— Hey... — Miku suddenly spoke up, stopping in front of us. I grabbed Yohi's hand, who hadn't heard the girl's call, then I looked at him and nodded toward the girl, — Hey, Yohi!

"Brother" turned towards the girl and visibly recoiled, seeing her. She quickly and loudly stomped forward, grabbed Yohi by the tie, and pulled him closer, making him slightly bend over.

— I found you! And your little /xxxx/! — she said nervously and mockingly, drawing the attention of Al and several passersby, — You might have run away, but I'm not going to let this go so easily!

— Uh, miss, who are you? — Yohi stammered, trying to pretend that the lady was either crazy or had mistaken him and me for someone else.

— Who am I?! Maybe you can tell me! Or this blind /xxxx/! You both seem to know a lot about me! — she shouted, grabbing me by the collar with her free hand, — Or what, you'll say I'm crazy! A crazy loose woman who drowned her own children, thank y...

— Who am I?! Maybe you can tell me! Or this blind /xxxx/! You both seem to know a lot about me! — she shouted, grabbing me by the collar with her free hand, — Or what, you'll say I'm crazy! A crazy loose woman who drowned her own children, thank you! When I needed support the most, what did you two do?! What did you, /xxxx/, do?!

— Hey, calm down...! — said Al, carefully pushing the girl away from us and shielding us with his back, — What's going on...? Calm down, there's no need to attack anyone here...! Yohi, who is this?

— I don't know her! — Yohi exclaimed, peeking out from behind the man's shoulder.

— Doesn't know me! Yohi is your name! And this /xxxx/ is Oliver! And I'm Miku! Recognize me now?! — the girl continued to shout, trying to reach "brother", but Al roughly grabbed her by the arm, stopping her.