20. Altercation in the Bar

Pov: Yohi

Despite all the changes — the routine of life continued almost unchanged... just the other day, while serving customers in the bakery, I inadvertently let slip another nasty rumor, as if by accident and without realizing it. It felt like it was on the level of animal instincts; I simply couldn't control it, although I wished I could. People in the town began to treat each other worse, with distrust and some contempt, all because of the gossip Oliver and I spread about the townsfolk... everyone was looking for ulterior motives in others. "Is it you who is mentioned in that story?" — people suspected their acquaintances in whom they found a resemblance to the person in the story, "Is this story about you? Aren't you the doctor who often visits people at home to help them? Weren't you caught visiting an apartment owned by a woman known to sleep around? Isn't your wife pregnant right now?" — people suspected more well-known individuals, causing them sharp reactions and provoking great suspicion. Initially, when I first arrived here, I just made everything up, but now, looking at Oliver, I realized that, despite this town being larger than the last and it being hard to keep track of everyone and find targets for rumors, it would be more interesting to do as before, that is, to eavesdrop on others' conversations, although due to my laziness, I distorted everything to no end. After I returned to the old tactic—my stories became more vivid, started to add details, which piqued people's interest.

— Yohi-Hio, hello! — came my favorite gentle voice of beloved Maika right after the bell rang from the door opening. She brought me back to my senses.

— Hello, Mai... — I said with a smile, after which I received a gentle peck on the lips, — How's your day going?

— It's been okay, but everything's becoming more tense... everyone is so stressed, I can hardly feel the warmth of our town anymore. But you, and the wonderful tea in this bakery, somewhat improve my day! — she said, while I was preparing her tea, — Have you heard about the rumor circulating about Gumi, Ruby's girlfriend?

— Hmm? No, I haven't heard... Tell me! — I asked, slightly concerned... it worried me, I hadn't spread rumors about her, and generally avoided spreading anything about people I knew, but who knows what happens when rumors spread and fall into the hands of those who love to speculate and guess.

— Gumi used to date a man, and there's a rumor that she's still with someone, just cheating with a girl for money, you know, the Rose family isn't poor, and Gumi isn't from a wealthy background! — Maika shared, as I served her the tea.

This definitely sounds like something I blurted out recently. The story about a girl who started cheating on her boyfriend with another girl for money, even though she wasn't even attracted to girls — that's what I talked about... I didn't think such nonsense could translate to, openly in their relationship, Gumi and Ruby. Though Gumi was more modest in this respect, always publicly calling Ruby just a friend, perhaps that's what sparked the suspicions. And it's one of the few "unusual" couples in our town, and because of Ruby's family status — one of the most well-known, that too might have been a reason for suspicions. It's silly, too many know about their relationship for her "husband" not to know about it, but do people need logic when there are interesting stories about others' misdeeds?

— That's sad... nothing has been said about me yet, so I don't know what to advise...

— Yes, she came to me today, crying, saying she doesn't know how to approach Ruby and talk about it, whether she would believe her. Ruby, I'm sure, trusts her beloved Gumi, but anything can happen. Maybe you can find out more, and then pass it on to me, and I to her?

— Did you come here for the second time today just for this, ha-ha? — I guessed, smiling.

— Well... sorry-sorry, partly... I would have come anyway just to see you, and now there's even a big reason... — the girl awkwardly smiled, scratching the back of her head.