Chapter 7 - Bittersweet Coffee

07:23 am - December 7, 2021.

Storrs, Connecticut.

OLIVIA POV ON

The morning sunlight gently streamed into the hotel room, casting golden rays that danced across the partially drawn curtains. I slowly opened my eyes, welcoming the calmness that the morning brought with it. A lingering sense of hangover weighed upon my body, as if every muscle was enveloped in a haze of exhaustion, my temples throbbing as I blinked, trying to adjust to the brightness. For a moment, I allowed myself to bask in the tranquility of the moment, letting my thoughts wander freely.

Within arm's reach, my phone rested on the bedside table, a silent reminder of the unread messages awaiting me. With effort, I reached out and unlocked the screen, preparing to face the world beyond the hotel room walls.

There was a message from Nika blinking, her name causing a flutter in my still-sleepy heart. She invited me to have breakfast together, an unexpected offer that caught me off guard. With a faint smile on my lips, I replied that I would be ready in 30 minutes and asked for the address so I could go meet her.

With a sigh, I sank a little deeper into the soft sheets of the bed, savoring the comforting sensation against my tired body. Every movement was a struggle against gravity, but I knew I needed to rally and face the day ahead. I rose slowly, stretching my arms overhead as I let the morning lethargy dissipate. I glanced at the clock beside the bed and saw that I still had some time before my meeting with Nika, so I decided to take advantage of it to get ready leisurely and prepare for the conversation I knew was looming.

I made my way to the bathroom, feeling the cold floor beneath my bare feet. I turned on the shower and let the hot water cascade over me, washing away any trace of sleep and invigorating my body for the approaching day. As the water gently fell on my skin, I allowed myself to reflect on the recent events.

Minutes later, wrapped in a soft towel, I stepped out of the bathroom and headed to my suitcase. I chose a casual and comfortable outfit for the meeting, opting for a simple white blouse, green adidas, and jeans, complemented by a hoodie matching the color of the sneakers to brave the cold weather of early Storrs winter.

 I chose a casual and comfortable outfit for the meeting, opting for a simple white blouse, green adidas, and jeans, complemented by a hoodie matching the color of the sneakers to brave the cold weather of early Storrs winter

With my hair still damp, I chose to let it fall loosely in soft waves, cascading freely over my shoulders. The makeup was simple, just a touch of mascara and a discreet gloss, reflecting my readiness for a casual and sincere encounter.

I grabbed my purse and car keys, ready to head out. My heart beat a little faster than usual, a mixture of anticipation and anxiety coursing through my veins as I prepared to meet Nika.

I drove through the unfamiliar streets of Storrs, guided by GPS, allowing myself to be carried away by the beauty of the journey to the café where we had agreed to meet. The sun shone high in the sky, painting the world around me with golden hues and comforting cold.