Chapter 11 - The day my heart skipped a beat

08:45 PM - March 23, 2022.
San Antonio, Texas.

NIKA POV

The air was electric, pulsating with the energy of our victory still reverberating in our hearts as I walked back to the locker room. The adrenaline from the court still flowing through my veins, while my entire body seemed to be tingling, even though my muscles were tired after the intense game.

Quick steps echoed through the empty hallway as we approached our destination, my heart beating at a rapid pace, not just from the earlier physical exertion, but also from the excitement of the win.

Paige walked beside me, her lively laughter mixing with the sound of our sneakers hitting the ground. "Wow, Twin, we killed it today!" she exclaimed, her wide smile mirroring my own feeling of triumph.

"Yeah, it was amazing!" I replied, a broad smile lighting up my face as we headed toward the locker room.

"You were unstoppable out there, Nika. That three-pointer in the third quarter? It was absolutely epic!" she continued, her voice full of genuine admiration.

I chuckled softly, remembering the play she mentioned. "I guess I was in my 'all or nothing' mode at that moment. But it felt great to see it go in."

Paige nodded, agreeing with me. "For sure! You were flying out there. Was it your first double-double of the season?"

"No, it was the third..." I replied, nudging her lightly.

As we approached, we could hear the buzz of excited voices and the sound of doors slamming, indicating that our teammates were already there, celebrating our victory. Paige and I exchanged a knowing glance before entering, ready to share this moment with the rest of the team.

Inside the locker room, the familiar smell of sweat mixed with the scent of soap invaded my nostrils, bringing a comforting sensation. Then I left Paige celebrating with Caroline and headed to my locker, stripping off my sweaty uniform and grabbing my things for the shower. Every movement was a mix of relief and excitement, the feeling of accomplishment still fresh in my mind.

The shower was warm, and the water running down my tired body was like a blessing after the physical exertion of the game. I let my mind wander as I lathered up, reliving the crucial moments of the match in my head. Every play, every basket, every successful move was a reminder of the hard work and dedication we had put in on the court. I couldn't wait to share it all with Olivia.

After the shower, I put on my Huskies emblem sweat suit, the familiar comfort of the soft fabric against my skin relaxing my muscles a bit more. I looked at myself in the mirror for a moment, watching my reflection and smiling at the memory of that moment of glory we had shared as a team.

I searched for my phone inside my bag, and as I picked it up in my hands, I slid the screen to check my messages, half expecting to find something from Olivia. But the screen remained stubbornly empty, no new messages blinking to greet me, just the one she had sent earlier warning that she was turning off her phone to be able to focus better. A small sigh escaped my lips, mingling with the steam from the still-present shower in the air.

As I packed my things back into my bag and time passed, Olivia's absence of messages started to weigh on my mind. Was Olivia's phone still off? Or worse, was she avoiding responding to me?

I decided to try texting her, even if it was just to share the excitement of our victory against Syracuse.

"Hey, Liv! Crushing victory against Syracuse today! Hope everything's okay. Let me know when you can, already miss hearing your voice!"