Chapter 22 - heart-to-heart talk

Hi everyone, I'm back with a slightly more dramatic chapter that I'm sure you'll love. Also, have you seen my new story "Hey, superstar"? I promise it's worth it, and there are already two chapters posted! Take a look at it too...

XOXO

The morning sun shone through the trees as the car glided smoothly along the road. The air was perfumed with the essence of pine and the characteristic freshness of late summer. I drove with the windows open, letting the breeze dance through the car, caressing our faces and filling our lungs with the salty aroma of the nearby sea.

Nika was in the passenger seat beside me, laughing at a joke Lou had just told. Lou, in the back seat, had an infectious energy, and her laughter mingled with the sound of the imaginary waves we hoped to soon encounter.

While my eyes were focused on the road ahead, my hand was intertwined with Nika's over the central console—a small gesture, but full of meaning.

"I still can't believe Geno gave us this week off," Lou said, stretching in the back seat and gazing out as the dense trees began to give way to more open vistas.

"Yeah, it feels surreal," I replied. "I think he knows we need to recharge before the season really kicks in."

The drive from Storrs to Hammonasset Beach was relatively short, just an hour and 15 minutes, but full of anticipation. The sky was clear, without a cloud in sight, and the temperature was perfect, hovering around 77 degrees. We could sense the change in the air as we neared the coast; the smell of saltwater grew stronger, and the distant calls of seagulls accompanied us.

"What are you most looking forward to doing at the beach?" Nika asked, turning to Lou with an excited smile.

"Definitely swimming," Lou replied without hesitation. "And maybe playing some beach volleyball. But mostly just relaxing and enjoying my girls."

I nodded, feeling a wave of happiness. "Yeah, I needed this. It's been a year of BIG changes..."

In another car not far behind us, Aubrey drove with Dorka beside her and Inês in the back seat. The convoy stayed close together, all of us eager for this well-deserved break.

Finally, the view of the ocean appeared on the horizon, and a collective sigh of admiration filled the car. Hammonasset State Park beach stretched out before us, with its fine white sand and the sparkling blue sea under the sun. I parked the car in front of the house we had rented, a beautiful seaside retreat that seemed straight out of a dream.

The house had a white-painted wooden facade, with a spacious porch and large windows that flooded each room with natural light. It was cozy yet luxurious, perfect for our little getaway. Upon entering, we were greeted by a spacious living room with comfortable sofas and a stone fireplace, though we were far from needing it in the summer heat.

The three bedrooms were exactly as we had planned. Nika and I took the master bedroom, which boasted a breathtaking view of the sea. Waking up to the sound of the waves would be a treat. Dorka and Lou shared the second bedroom, decorated in soft shades of blue and white, creating a calm and relaxing atmosphere. Aubrey and Inês took the third bedroom, equally comfortable and inviting.

"This house is amazing," Aubrey exclaimed as we unloaded our bags. "I can't wait to hit the water."

The smell of the sea breeze was invigorating, and the feeling of sand underfoot was liberating. We decided to spend the rest of the day at the beach, laughing, talking, and simply enjoying each other's company. The sound of laughter and waves mingled, creating a perfect symphony that captured the spirit of our weekend.