Chapter 26 - Sweet Mistake

The morning after the party my friends organized for my birthday, I woke up to the gentle sunlight streaming through the curtains and a slight buzz of a hangover pulsing in my head. I shifted in bed, feeling the weight of sleep still present in every muscle of my body. Last night had been amazing—a pre-birthday celebration with my closest friends. But now, my body was paying the price.

I slowly opened my eyes, adjusting to the brightness of the room. My mouth was dry, and my head throbbed. I knew I needed water and maybe an aspirin. As I turned in bed, I noticed something on my nightstand. A note with "READ ME" written on it, a glass of water, and a pill. I smiled, immediately recognizing Nika's handwriting.

I reached for the note, my fingers trembling slightly. It was a pink piece of paper, folded carefully. I unfolded it and began to read, a smile forming on my lips.

"Good morning, my great love, I knew you would need this today. Happy birthday! I hope your day is as wonderful as you are. Love you. - Nika."

My heart warmed as I read her words. My girl always knew how to make me feel special. Even in the small things, she had a way of showing her love that melted away any discomfort. I took the aspirin, swallowed it with a sip of water, feeling the freshness of the liquid soothing my throat and bringing immediate relief.

I lay back down with the note held close to my chest. The memories of last night came flooding back—laughter, music, and Nika's constant presence at my side. She was always there, loving me in a way I had never experienced before.

But flashes of what had happened between Beau and me also surfaced in my mind. There was that uncomfortable, almost disturbing moment with him. I clearly remembered him approaching me, offering several shots of tequila, a smile that didn't reach his eyes as he handed one after another. I was already a bit drunk, but his insistence made me end up accepting.

"You've really changed, Olivia," I remembered him saying, leaning closer than necessary. "I never thought you'd get so serious with someone like Nika. Remember us in high school? We were the perfect couple."

I had forced a smile, already feeling uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation. Beau always had a way of making our high school memories seem more golden than they really were. Our relationship was full of ups and downs, and more downs than ups, to be honest. Then he continued, his eyes filled with a strange mixture of nostalgia and something that deeply unsettled me.

"I know you miss the old times. Things were simpler, right? You and I, we were... you know, good. Maybe we should go home together tonight. Relive some of those good times."

Those words had made me freeze. I remembered how my stomach churned, a feeling of betrayal and confusion washing over me. I knew Beau was just trying to manipulate me, playing with the memories of the past to get what he wanted. He never fully accepted that I had moved on, found someone who truly understood and valued me for who I was.

"Nika is my girlfriend, Beau. I love her. There's nothing between us but friendship, and even that, if you keep this up, will disappear," I said, trying to be firm, but my voice trembled slightly. He shrugged, laughing softly as if I were exaggerating.

Reliving those memories on the morning of my birthday left a bitter taste in my mouth, contrasting with the sweetness of Nika's note. I took a deep breath, trying to push away the negativity.

Beau was my past.

Nika... well, she was my present and my future.

I couldn't let his words affect my day or my relationship with my girlfriend.