Chapter 25 - Happy Birthday

On the morning of November 10th, the day of the first regular season game and the eve of my birthday, I woke up in Nika's room. The bed next to me was empty, and I immediately felt her absence, a sense of emptiness that always came when I didn't find her beside me. The room was illuminated by the soft morning light filtering through the thin curtains, creating a cozy atmosphere.

I got up slowly, feeling the soft touch of the sheets against my skin as I stretched. The sweet, familiar smell of Nika's perfume still lingered in the air, mixed with a slight aroma of coffee she had probably prepared before leaving. I put on my sweatshirt and fuzzy socks, feeling the warm fabric against my skin, and headed to the bathroom.

Nika's dorm bathroom was small but organized, with a shelf full of skincare and hair products, neatly lined up. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, my eyes still a bit sleepy, but with a spark of excitement for the day ahead. The first game of the season always brought a mix of nervousness and anticipation.

I turned on the faucet and washed my face, feeling the cold water wake me up completely. I brushed my teeth, each repetitive motion helping to organize my thoughts. I thought about the game, about the plays we had rehearsed so many times, and about what it meant to start the season the day before my birthday. It was as if all expectations and dreams converged at a single point, a sweet and challenging pressure at the same time.

While getting ready, I applied moisturizer to my face, feeling the smooth texture against my skin, and tied my hair into a high ponytail. The lavender scent of the cream enveloped me, bringing a sense of comfort and security.

After getting ready, I returned to the room and began packing my backpack for the morning classes. I grabbed my books and notebooks, checking to make sure I had everything I needed for the day's classes. The familiar weight of the backpack on my shoulders brought a sense of normalcy, a contrast to the adrenaline that the game later would bring.

I left the room and walked down the hallway towards the kitchen. The apartment was quiet, except for the distant sound of the TV on in the living room. The aroma of fresh coffee hung in the air, mixed with the smell of toasted bread. As I entered the kitchen, I found Paige sitting on the counter that separated the small kitchen from the living room, eating a sandwich. She looked at me and smiled as she saw me.

"Good morning, Liv!" Paige said, her mouth still half full. "Nika left a sandwich for you in the fridge, and there's orange juice too."

"Morning, P," I replied, smiling back. I mentally thanked Nika for always thinking of me, even when she was busy. I went to the fridge and opened it, finding the wrapped sandwich and a small bottle of orange juice. I took both and sat next to Paige on the counter.

The sandwich was perfect, as always. Whole grain bread, turkey breast, lettuce, tomato, and a hint of mustard. I took a bite, savoring the combination of flavors and the crunchy texture of the lettuce. "My girlfriend is the best," I thought to myself, feeling a warmth in my chest.

"Excited for the game?" my friend asked, a sparkle of excitement in her eyes. Despite her being away for the season, she knew how much this first game meant to all of us.

"Very..." I replied after taking a sip of juice. "I think I've never been so prepared, but still, there's always that nervousness, you know?"

Paige nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I know. But we're going to crush it, as always. We're UConn..." We chatted a bit more while finishing our breakfast.

The kitchen, despite being small, was cozy, with white cabinets and a gray granite countertop. The morning light streamed through the living room window, illuminating the space with a soft glow. The walls had photos of Paige and Nika together, of the team, and some of me and Nika in happy moments, reinforcing the sense of home.