Chapter 16 - Meeting the Parents... Again

7:22 AM - April 14, 2022.

Providence, Rhode Island.

The routine of college life hit us hard.

My days were filled with rushing through the hallways of the Providence science building, clutching a coffee in one hand and a stack of books in the other. I felt exhausted, even though I knew I needed to keep my grades high. The weight of exams was felt in every step, and the anxiety over the WNBA Draft weekend didn't help.

Nika was facing the same battle at UConn, and our Facetime calls every night were a welcome relief. I remember one of those calls on Wednesday night when Nika appeared on the screen with tired eyes but her usual smile.

"How was your Behavioral exam?" I asked, adjusting myself on the bed, the soft lamp light casting shadows on the walls of my dorm room.

"Terrible..." Nika sighed, but the smile didn't fade. "I think I got half the questions wrong."

"You always think that and then end up getting an A." I laughed. "It must have been better than you think."

"I hope so... I can't afford to fail any class!"

"I'm sure you won't, just stay calm... But, love, changing the subject a bit..."

"Hmmm..." she murmured in response, turning on her side in bed, propping the phone up somewhere.

"Have you decided if you're coming to New York with me this weekend?"

"Yes, I talked to Lou and Paige, they want to go too because of the Draft event."

"Perfect, you can all stay with me then..."

"At your parents' house? Are you sure they won't mind?" Nika's voice revealing her nervousness.

"Yes, I'm sure they won't mind... In fact, my mom will love having you all there, especially you!"

"I can't believe I'm going to meet your parents..."

"But you've already met my parents, in San Antonio, I don't understand why you're so nervous."

"It's different now..."

Then, like a flash, Wednesday night turned into Saturday morning, and I was no longer in Rhode Island but in New York, heading to JFK to pick up Nika, Paige, and Lou, who were already landing.

POV - NIKA MÜHL

We landed at JFK amid a torrent of hurried people. The announcements over the loudspeakers and the sound of suitcases rolling on the floor echoed through the terminal. Lou, Paige, and I were exhausted, but the excitement of the weekend kept us going.

"Finally New York!" said Lou, stretching her arms above her head. "I can't wait to explore the city."

"Absolutely..." agreed Paige, adjusting her backpack strap on her shoulder. "But first, we need to find Olivia."

My heart raced at the sound of her name. I knew this weekend would be special, but it was also filled with nervousness. Olivia was coming to pick us up at the airport, and we were staying at her parents' apartment, Michael and Sarah.

And I had a plan that made me even more anxious.

"Are you okay, Nika?" asked Lou, giving me a concerned look. "You've been a bit quiet..."

"I'm fine." I replied, trying to sound convincing. "Just a little nervous."

Paige laughed and gave me a gentle shoulder bump. "Nervous about meeting Olivia's parents or about asking her to be your girlfriend?"