Chapter 19

XY's Backstory, his POV

After Charley told me about his life, I was reminded of my own.
We grew up on both sides of the same betrayal.

I suppose I had to accept at one point or another my brother really was the reason everything was so bad, for the kingdom, and for me.

I was exiled with my family when I was two years old, forced to grow up away from the reefs and in deep water. Octopi and bottom feeders, cannibals and the damned, the worst place that only few survive. And on top of that, there was the constant threat of humans overhead.

When I was six current cycles, I encountered my first net.
When I was seven, I watched my father get eaten alive.
When I was eight, I started training for murder.
When I was nine, I met my first trident fight.
When I was ten, I was deadly.
Eleven, I got revenge on the men who killed my father.
Twelve, I killed the crew of a human vessel for netting me.
Thirteen, I found my mother, dead.
Fourteen, I was hardened and tired.
Fifteen, I was ready just to do some suicidal mission.
But, at sixteen, I learned of the place I was born.
At seventeen I learned what my brother had done.
At eighteen I joined the city legally, new name, fresh start.
I thought I had it made at nineteen.
But
At twenty I killed a squadron of corrupted officials, trying to save AB.... AB was a male breeder, a slave in one of the households. He was constantly abused, and it was legal. He was the one I wanted to protect that I had fallen for.

It's a long story, but in the end.... AB was murdered. I was captured. The bastard that held the knife was left to walk his own.

That's when I met The Queen. I was only twenty, and Queen Aria had heard of me and my killings, and my angry shouting and crying had reached her ears. I told her my story that day, when I was facing the gallows and she demanded I look towards her and tell her my story.

To my surprise, she removed all my charges. She offered me a job and sentenced the man who killed my AB to death.

I served her loyally, and for a year now I've been an assassin for the crown. If only she hadn't been murdered....

Charley looked at the ground before looking up at me, and I nodded to him. "Thank you for sharing that." I told him, patting his head lightly.