Chapter 2

A little blue lion-fish was hitting against the glass hatch, swimming in circles frantically and trying to get in my boat. I cautiously opened the hatch, and the little thing hopped right in, bringing a little water in at my feet as it flopped on the ground.

"Shh Shh little guy, your family is over here." I say soothingly, hoping the soft vibrations would calm it as I picked it up and put it gently in a tank, looking it over, lines of red across it like.... claw marks?

I forgot to close that damn hatch.

I heard a splash and something heft itself into my boat, and I whipped around to see...
The discovery of a lifetime...
A mer.
A real, actual mer. Merman as it would be but....

It bared it's sharp teeth at me and I raised my hands slightly in surrender, the thing looking past me at the fish that was now bleeding to death in the tank behind me. I looked between it and the fish, making a connection, and slowly took the small creature out of it's tank, slowly squatting and sliding the fish to the merman, who flipped his tail and grabbed the fish, eating it quickly.

My curiosity for the fish now abandoned, I took another one out of a tank and slid it over to the mer, who huffed at it not sliding all the way to him, dragging himself to the fish and eating it. A splash in a cooler by his right took his attention as he turned away suspicion from me to the cooler, darting for it and sticking his head in, eating to his heart's content.

I carefully observed him, inching away and sitting on a bucket, looking at his fins, gills, beautiful dark blue tail.... Then I looked at him as a human, not highlighting the fish things.... just the human.
His upper torso was a chest of strength, his back was scarred, he had brown hair, and he looked a tint blue. Maybe it was some salt water in my eyes? He was extremely.... sexy....

I blinked and realized he had moved right over to me and I tilted my head at him, looking behind me to make sure I wasn't in the way of his fishy meal, only I wasn't. And by then he had hauled himself to my legs and looked at me crossly with capturing dark blue eyes, the color of dark water with it's slow currents.

I blinked myself out of whatever I was thinking, and suddenly the mer had hauled himself up using his arms to push up against my legs, looking at me on my level. I instinctively backed my face away, which tipped the bucket I was sitting on and tipped me back into that damn open hatch.

Startled, I thrashed around in the water, a hand grabbing my ankle as I was suddenly jerked down. "Help!" I tried yelling, only bubbles taking it's place as I was dragged deeper by this new attacker, the light of my boat only the size of a quarter so far away.... from.... me....