꒰ 004 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter . :: four
night shift  ˚ ݂

Carlisle was sitting behind his desk, staring at the table with his mind wandering elsewhere. Usually, he was the one with ideas, but right now, he couldn't think of anything, not with that wonderful scent filling his nostrils. He wanted to think of something to help Edward, but all he could think about was Lydia and how much he needed to be with her.

Someone knocked softly at the door, bringing him back to reality, and he settled in his seat, pretending he had been working on something. He had finished everything already, but no one needed to know that.

"Come in," he spoke softly and kindly.

The small figure of Sarah entered the office. Cullen looked at her with a friendly smile. He could see how nervous she was, although that was never his intention.

"Sorry to interrupt, Dr. Cullen, but Director Roberts is waiting for you in her office."

Carlisle stood up.

"I understand, Sarah. Thank you."

The nurse left, and Carlisle followed suit, but each went in different directions. He was about to reach the woman's office when the familiar scent of grapefruit and honey grew stronger. Lydia was in that office. For some reason, that excited him quite a bit, but he was very good at disguising it.

He knocked a couple of times but didn't wait for a response as he decided to open the door. Lydia was sitting in a chair in front of the desk with her arms crossed. She seemed somewhat tired, more than usual, and he didn't like that.

When I asked Edward not to tell Lydia about her thoughts, it was simply because I wanted to discover them for myself. And that idea still stood. He was going to uncover every one of that girl's secrets, and it would be she who would tell him.

"Carlisle, good to see you. Please, take a seat," Maia said, indicating the empty chair.

He complied, taking a seat next to Lydia, who hadn't bothered to look at him. But she did roll her eyes when he sat down. It amused him quite a bit.

"Is everything alright?"

"Yes, and I would say quite wonderful. Since Lydia arrived at the hospital, overall performance has improved significantly."

The girl smiled proudly.

"It's good to know," Carlisle still didn't understand why they had been summoned, but it didn't bother him.

"You two are my best doctors, and as you know, we are short-staffed, so I'm begging you to take the night shift next week. Jonathan and Scott, the night base doctors, decided to resign because they got jobs at a hospital in the city. The night shift is calmer, but there's much less staff than during the day," she looked at both of them, "It will only be for a week while I make some calls and find someone."