꒰ 037 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter┊ ✦. :: thirty seven
♡ ﹙fight﹚ ❋  ˚  ݂ ꛒ

Days began to pass with unsettling speed, and with them came Christmas, which meant snowfall. As Alice had told them, the Volturi would arrive very soon, and the truth was that no one felt truly tense or nervous. They were starting to accept the fact that they might die definitively this time, but no one seemed to really mind.

Mainly because they would fight for what they loved.

They had decided to set up a small camp near the battlefield. Vampires and werewolves had gathered around a bonfire.

It was that brief moment of happiness before the chaos. Lydia looked at them all from her place while carrying Maven covered in several blankets. The boy had fallen asleep not long ago, but he would start crying if Lydia tried to leave him anywhere.

Carlisle had approached them, leaving a kiss on each of their foreheads.

"Everything will be fine," he reminded her, although it seemed like he was saying it more to himself. "Do you want to join the others by the fire? It looks like they're about to start telling some stories. Garrett loves to boast about all the places he's been."

Lydia let out a short laugh. "Yes, I think I would like that."

The three of them approached the fire, Lydia sat on a log next to Seth and began listening to the man's story, noticing that Kate was sitting on his lap. They made a beautiful couple.

Carlisle had stayed behind, talking to Edward. Lydia supposed it was one of those emotional moments, so she focused solely on the vampires' words. Maybe they were all just as terrified as she was, but they managed to disguise it quite well.

A few minutes later, Edward and Carlisle approached the others. The blonde embraced Lydia by the shoulders and left a kiss on her cheek.

Actually, it was a rather pleasant night.

When dawn came, they packed up the small camp and headed to the field. Maven had his eyes wide open, looking around with great interest.

Lydia squeezed Carlisle's hand when the Volturi guard came into view. The man caressed her hand gently, indicating that everything would be fine.

They looked quite frightening with their dark cloaks and hateful glances. Lydia immediately identified Aro; she remembered him from the painting in the Cullen house, but seeing him in person was strange. And it was even more terrifying when, despite the great distance, the man looked directly into Lydia's eyes. Even Maven seemed restless.

But then everyone saw Bella, who was carrying a newborn in her arms. Edward seemed puzzled; he had mentally prepared himself for this moment, yet now that he was standing there, he felt like the wound was reopening. Esme and Evander approached Edward, each placing a hand on the boy's shoulder.