꒰ 015 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter┊ ✦. :: five teen
♡ ﹙birthday﹚ ❋ ˚ ݂ ꛒ

Lydia knew it was a terrible idea, but there was nothing she could do about it. Bella wasn't a party person, but they had already organized one for her, and now they could only watch her discomfort all night. The Cullens really tried to make her feel comfortable in the family, but Isabella didn't fully cooperate. She seemed only interested in capturing Edward's attention and nothing else.

"Here," Carlisle offered her a drink. Lydia took it.

"You shouldn't have bothered, but thank you."

"It's just a bit of wine. I thought you might like it."

She took a sip.

"I love it."

"I'm glad," he smiled.

They were both in the man's study, waiting for Alice to call them. Lydia was sitting on the edge of the desk, looking at a large painting hanging on the wall.

"Is that you up there?"

Carlisle stared at the painting for a long moment. Finally, he reluctantly nodded.

"Yes, it's me."

"You look... different. Who are the other three?"

"The Volturi. The one on the right is called Caius, in the middle is Aro, and on the left is Marcus. They are the oldest known vampires and are considered something like vampire royalty. They keep everything in relative order and if a vampire breaks any rule... they stop them."

Lydia took another sip of her drink, feeling a little uncomfortable now.

"Being with me... is it breaking a rule?" she dared to ask, her tone worried.

Carlisle remained silent for a moment but nodded.

"Yes," he could lie to her, but he preferred not to.

"And... could they kill me for being with you?"

"I would never let anyone hurt you. Never."

She smiled a little.

"I know."

"Come on, Bella's almost here, and Alice wants us to gather in the living room."

Carlisle took Lydia's hand when she offered it, and they began to walk together through the house. Soon they joined the rest of the family, whom Lydia had greeted upon arrival. The couple stayed to the side, Lydia hugging Carlisle around the waist and he wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

"This is nonsense," Rosalie complained, but no one commented on it.

Lydia then looked at the decorations for the first time. It was quite simple but beautiful, filled with candles and small white and red floral ornaments.