꒰ 006 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter . :: six
the truth   ˚  ݂

Carlisle didn't understand why Lydia was looking at him like that. Had he done something wrong? Had he unintentionally hurt her? Then he became worried too.

"What's wrong?" he dared to ask.

"You're freezing. I know it's cold, but seriously, you're freezing," Lydia wiped away the tears and jumped to her feet, running through the hospital corridors. It didn't take her more than two minutes to return with a thermometer.

Carlisle looked at her in panic and stood up, quite agitated. If possible, he would have turned pale.

"Lydia, I'm perfectly fine."

"Of course, you're not! You're freezing. Maybe you have hypothermia, and I know you're a doctor, but even we can get sick."

The man took a few steps back, quite nervous. He couldn't let her take his temperature, or else he would have to give explanations... which he didn't expect to give so soon.

"Lydia, I'm really fine."

"Carlisle Cullen," she scolded loudly, "sit down right now, or I'll call a nurse."

He didn't need more of an audience and had no choice but to comply. He sat down and let Lydia approach. He could still flee, but it was something the girl would never forget, and he couldn't avoid it forever.

The girl's hands touched him with such softness and extreme delicacy that it felt heavenly to the man. He almost forgot he was about to get into serious trouble.

"Carlisle, you're really cold. Do you have any symptoms? Does anything hurt? Have you been sleeping well? Is your diet good?"

The man couldn't even respond when Lydia removed his tie and unbuttoned the top buttons of his shirt. She had overlooked the action because she was only focused on tending to him and making sure he was okay. But it was completely different for Carlisle. He wasn't used to that kind of contact, yet he was allowing it.

He could very well stand up, raise his voice, and tell the poor girl to back off, but even in the depths of his dead heart, he wished Lydia knew the truth to stop carrying that weight on her shoulders.

She placed the thermometer and waited patiently.

"You haven't answered my questions," she reminded him.

"There are no symptoms, I don't have any pain, I consider my sleep pattern acceptable, and yes, my diet is actually quite strict," he replied calmly, smiling at the end of his sentence.

He couldn't help but notice Lydia's expression of concern. At least now he knew she wouldn't let him die, much as she disliked him.

The girl took out the thermometer and looked at it for a full minute. Then she frowned and adjusted it to take the man's temperature again.

"I think the thermometer is malfunctioning. According to what it's showing..." she let out a laugh, "it's not even possible. Only a dead person has that temperature."

But Carlisle didn't laugh, and Lydia didn't miss it.

"Maybe it's best if I take you to a cot right away and put some warm compresses on you. Although it's strange that you're not sweating or showing any other signs of hypothermia," she began to babble.

Carlisle took her hands to stop her and returned the thermometer that had once again marked the same number as the first time. Then Lydia felt like she was freezing too. She let go of Carlisle's grip, and a trembling hand went to her neck. The man watched her silently and unmoving.

"You don't have a pulse," she said with a thread of voice and took a step back to avoid falling.

She was scared, and Carlisle could smell it.

"Lydia, I need you to calm down and come with me to my office," he stood up, but that only made the girl take another step back. She was genuinely terrified.

"Stay where you are, or I'll call the police," she threatened with a trembling voice.

Carlisle raised his hands and didn't move from his spot.

"Lydia, please listen to me. I can explain. I hope you believe me, and I hope you understand that I would never do anything to hurt you."

Lydia frowned.

"Just say it; the suspense scares me more."

"It's complicated to say..." he began, "but I really hope you believe me, and I hope you understand that I never expected things to turn out this way."

Lydia stopped and looked at him.

"Then is that it? Is that why you're better than me at everything?"

"I don't consider myself better, but if you put it that way... my condition allows me to excel in many things."

She looked at him with wide eyes and then began to shake her head.

"I can't deal with this. I really can't," she hugged herself, "just stay away from me."

She looked at him once more before turning around and heading straight for the parking lot. She didn't have the head to think about her things or change clothes. At least she had the car keys with her, and without thinking much, she went home.

Her head hurt, and she didn't understand anything. But she was very clear about one thing: she didn't want to cross paths with Carlisle Cullen again.

 But she was very clear about one thing: she didn't want to cross paths with Carlisle Cullen again

: ‹𝟹 all the votes and
comments are very
appreciated. they encourage me
keep updating!