꒰ 017 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter┊ ✦. :: seventeen
♡ ( denali﹚ ❋ ˚ ݂ ꛒ

—It's here," said the blond man, stopping the car in front of a beautiful house in the middle of a snow-covered clearing.

Lydia frowned but continued to look with interest. The house was quite large, and now that the snow had stopped falling, the white blanket glistened in the small rays of sun filtering through the clouds.

"Exactly, where is 'here'?"

Carlisle placed a hand on Lydia's leg, making small circles with his thumb. She looked at him with a smile.

"Let's say it's family. They're vampires too, but they follow the same diet as we do. I'm sure you'll like them."

"What if they don't like me?" Lydia asked nervously. "And do they know we're coming?"

He nodded.

"Yes, I told them we would arrive this afternoon..."

"And?" she prompted, realizing he had more to say.

Carlisle glanced away for a moment.

"Maybe I mentioned that you're human, and Eleazar and Carmen were very excited about preparing something for you to eat," Lydia recognized both names because Carlisle had told her a bit about them when they were still in Forks. So, this is where they lived.

She blushed.

"This is so embarrassing. Is it really necessary for me to meet them? It's not that I don't want to, but..."

"Eleazar has a gift that helps him know the abilities of vampires. I thought maybe he could help figure out why other vampires can't smell you."

There it was, the truth behind all of this. It's not that she wasn't interested in unraveling that mystery, but it didn't excite her as much as it did Carlisle. She hadn't talked to her mother again for explanations, mainly because she had been swamped with work and hadn't thought about it at all. Now that she had so much free time, she was actually interested in finding out a bit more.

"We could have gone to my mother," she suggested quietly.

"Don't worry, that'll be our next stop," he said, removing his hand from her leg and opening the door. "Come on, before you get cold. It's warmer inside."

He waited for Carlisle to open the door and help her out. They both walked a short distance through the snow to the porch. It was quite cold, but something Lydia could still bear. Carlisle knocked on the wooden door with his knuckles, and a beautiful blonde girl opened the door.

Lydia couldn't help but stare at her for how attractive she was, like an angel. She reminded her a bit of Rosalie, although in her opinion, Rosalie was even more beautiful.

"Kate," Carlisle greeted with a smile. She smiled back and stepped aside to let them in without taking her eyes off Lydia's small figure.

"Carlisle, we thought you'd arrive later, but I'm glad you're here," she said, closing the door once they were all inside. "You must be Lydia. We've heard a lot about you."