꒰ 018 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter┊ ✦. :: eighteen
♡ ﹙the truth﹚ ❋ ˚ ݂ ꛒ

Lydia woke up, realizing that for the first time in weeks, she had slept better than ever in her life. She felt so relaxed and at peace, plus the blankets were very warm, and she didn't feel a bit of cold during the night when it started snowing or in the early morning when the temperature dropped even more.

However, she also realized that she was alone in bed. There were no notes or anything similar indicating where Carlisle had gone, but she shrugged it off; maybe he wanted to keep talking with his family.

She got out of bed and noticed that not only were the blankets warm, but so was the small room, thanks to the heating Carlisle had turned on the night before when they went to sleep.

Her suitcase was already in the room next to Carlisle's. She opened it to look for clean clothes and to go to the bathroom, but she didn't have anything warm enough for the Alaska weather. Inside the house was warm, but if she went outside, she would definitely freeze.

A soft knock on the door made her jump. She quickly went to open it and found herself face to face with beautiful golden eyes belonging to the girl she knew as Kate. Kate smiled kindly at her.

"I hope you rested well," she said.

"Yes, thank you," Lydia replied.

"Carlisle left with Eleazar earlier to hunt," she explained, "but I brought you some clothes that might fit you. Carlisle mentioned you didn't pack much warm clothing, and since we only use it for appearances, I thought it might be more useful to you than to us."

Lydia felt embarrassed immediately but still smiled and gladly accepted the clothes.

"Thank you so much, Kate."

"Carmen is preparing something for you to have breakfast. When you're ready, she'll be waiting for you in the kitchen."

"You shouldn't have bothered, really," Lydia hugged the clothes Kate had given her.

"It's okay. Carmen enjoys using the kitchen for the first time. She spends her time watching recipes on TV."

Lydia smiled shyly and just nodded.

"Thank you. I'll come down in a moment."

Kate smiled again before leaving quietly. Lydia returned to the room to change and carefully examined each garment Kate had left her. Everything was really nice and seemed very warm and perfect for the icy weather.

After getting dressed, she left the room and headed to the bathroom. A few minutes later, she was in the kitchen, sitting at the beautiful island, while she looked with interest at the decorations she hadn't noticed the day before. Carmen was very excitedly preparing something that Lydia didn't get to see, but it smelled really good. Both women engaged in a small conversation just to pass the time without any awkward or uncomfortable silences.