꒰ 008 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter . :: eight
love ˚ ݂

Love is the strangest feeling of all. It arrives suddenly and without warning. It makes you do foolish things without thinking. It's simply unexpected, and you can't choose who you fall in love with. It just happens.

At least that's what happened to Carlisle. When he saw Lydia walking down the hospital halls, he simply felt like his heart was coming back to life, like his whole existence had meaning, and like he had been waiting his entire life for that moment. For that one special moment.

He had an intense desire to protect Lydia from everything and everyone. He had an immense need to feel her warm hands caressing his cold face. He wanted those beautiful eyes full of energy and kindness to only look at him. He had never cared about anything to such an extent.

He always pushed women away, whether they were vampires or humans, and he even pushed away some men who flirted with him more subtly. His only purpose was to help people, but when he realized he was hopelessly in love with Lydia, nothing else in his existence made sense. No one else existed on this earthly plane but her, and he suffered infinitely when she ignored him.

Carlisle had promised to be completely honest, and that included being honest about his feelings. He couldn't lose anything else. If Lydia rejected him and asked him to stay away forever, he would, but if she gave him the slightest chance, he would take it.

He saw Lydia's adorable cheeks blush a soft pink, heard her pulse quicken, and noticed her trying to control her breathing. It was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen in his immortal life. And besides, she had said it first, whether it was an accident or not, she confessed first.

"The pasta looks delicious," was all he said before taking a big bite to avoid talking.

He watched her eat patiently.

"Lydia..." he spoke softly.

She set her fork aside and sighed.

"Does anyone else know? About what you are."

"Bella Swan. She recently started dating Edward, and for obvious reasons, she knows. It seems she figured it out on her own."

"Charlie's daughter?" Lydia was genuinely surprised. "Wow. Charlie won't take it very well."

They looked at each other in silence.

"When I left my old home..." Lydia began again. "I kept telling myself I wasn't running away, but I was. I wanted to run as far away from that place as possible and hide forever. My life was complete drama, and now it's drama with science fiction included," she let out a laugh, "and if I'm being honest, I think I'm either drugged or too drunk. I feel like I'm going to wake up at home any moment and realize it was all in my imagination, and I'll have a terrible hangover, but I'll go on with my boring and happy life."