Warriors and Guardians

"Mommy, I need help with my homework" Max says, entering Elle's bathroom where Elle and Nolan are struggling to hang a mirror.

"is it English or Math?" Elle asks.

"History" Max responds.

"Well history is an Uncle Nolan question, bud, you know I only understand math and science" Elle says.

"Uncle Nolan, I need help with my homework" Max turns to Nolan, who chuckles.

"history, huh? well let me finish hanging this mirror and then we'll check it out" Nolan says when his phone rings.

"uh" Nolan has his hands full and can't reach his phone.

Elle is only using one hand at the moment and can grab the phone. She puts it on speaker phone and holds it in front of Nolan so he can talk to whoever it is on the line.

"Hello?" Nolan asks.

"Officer Nolan, this is Detective Nyla Harper. I'm your new training officer." A woman's voice says over the phone.

"My - Great! Um, I'm sorry, did you say "detective"?" Nolan inquires and Elle's eyebrows furrow.

"Yeah." Harper replies.

"Isn't that a little unusual for –" Nolan starts.

"I thought we should get a drink, size each other up a bit before shift tomorrow. Meet me at Third Strike. 20 minutes." Harper interrupts him.

"Third Strike. Okay, got it. I'm gonna - I'm gonna need like 30." Nolan says.

"20, or I'm gone." Harper threatens.

"Oh, uh, okay." Nolan replies and then Harper hangs up.

"okay" Elle giggles. "she sounds like an interesting TO"

"she does" Nolan nods as they finish hanging up the mirror.

Nolan turns back to Max. "hey, bud, I'm sorry, I gotta go meet my new boss but I'll be back in an hour or so and I can help with your homework."

Max deflates.

"in the meantime, do you and Jake want to help me paint the treehouse in the backyard?" Elle suggests, her heart breaking a little when Max deflates.

"okay" Max perks up and runs out of the room. "Jake! We're gonna paint the treehouse now!" He calls.

Elle giggles. 

"good luck with your new TO" Elle says while Nolan rushes to get ready.

"thanks, and don't paint the slide yet, the special paint hasn't come in yet for it" Nolan advises.

"got it! bye!" Elle calls.

"bye!" Nolan says, before leaving, locking the door behind him.

[One Hour Later]

"hey, how'd it go?" Elle asks when Nolan enters the backyard to see the twins doing their own little handprints on one of the walls of the treehouse. They have all the pieces put together and just need to put it in the tree and attach each piece. 

Max and Jake are having a great time painting a random color rainbow on another one of the walls. 

"not good" Nolan sighs, sitting down besides Elle and pulling out some food he picked up on the way home.

"at least you got food" Elle offers.

"I got everyone food" Nolan corrects.

"food?" Max looks up.

"food!" Jake exclaims. 

"you're the best Uncle Nolan!" Max says, helping Nolan unpack the food.

Sasha raises her little baby fists and makes a little screech in agreement.