Tough Love

"Nolan, I really don't know if we want the house to burn down" Elle says, biting her lip when sparks fly from an open electrical outlet.

"just don't let the kids near the outlet" Nolan replies as he plasters an interior wall of his house. 

The doorbell rings which causes more sparks.

"I got it" Elle sighs, glad that the twins are taking a nap and the boys are watching a movie in their room.

Elle answers the door and recognizes Nolan's kid, Henry. "Henry?" Elle tilts her head.

"John, Henry's here!" Elle calls into the house.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Nolan asks, walking over to them.

"Abigail had a buttload of flyer miles, so we, uh, flew out to surprise you." Henry explains.

"Oh, my God. Abigail, it's so nice to finally meet you." Nolan smiles.

"It's great to meet you, too." Abigail answers.

"and you must be Jessica" Henry turns to Elle.

"oh, no, no" Both Elle and Nolan shake their head.

"um, no, I'm Elle, your dad's roommate" Elle replies, glancing at Nolan. "you didn't tell him about Jessica?"

"that's for another time, please come in" Nolan says, inviting them in.

"The videos didn't do it justice. This place is a wreck." Henry remarks.

"I think it's awesome. It's like a faded beauty queen that you're bringing back to life." Abigail remarks.

"Oh, wow. You are quickly becoming my favorite." Nolan grins.

"Mine, too. Uh, we have some good news." Henry starts.

"Exciting. Lay it on me." Nolan says.

"I'm pregnant. Kidding. I'm -- I'm kidding. We're engaged. Sorry about the pregnant thing. I-I thought it would soften the blow." Abigail announces.

Elle swears her blood sugar dropped at the beginning.

"I need some gatorade" Elle murmurs.

"Abigail, uh, that is, um, is beautiful. That is a beautiful ri-- I hope you didn't, uh, spend your tuition money." Nolan says, also shocked.

"I used the money that I was saving to go to Europe, because Abigail's the journey I want to spend the rest of my life on." Henry explains.

"Aww." Henry and Abigail coo before kissing.

"That's so-- That is-- That's so... Does your mom know?" Nolan asks.

"She thought it would be best if I told you in person." Henry says.

"Uh, yeah. She also recommended that we quickly follow the news with some electrolytes." Abigail hands Nolan a gatorade.

"thank you" Elle takes the gatorade from Nolan and quickly starts drinking it.

"That is...hilarious and entirely unnecessary. Have you set a date?" Nolan inquires.

"Not yet, but we're, uh, we're talking about June." Henry responds.

"Isn't it exciting?" Abigail squeals.

"It's so exciting." Nolan smiles, before the electrical outlet starts to spark again and catches on fire. "Crap!"

"this actually happens a lot, it's totally fine" Elle assures Henry and Abigail as Nolan uses a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.

Elle then proceeds to gulp down the rest of the gatorade.

[Two Hours Later]

"do you think we come off as a couple to other people?" Elle asks, sitting next to Nolan in the living room.

The news is on and each of them are bottle feeding one of the twins.

"I doubt it" Nolan answers.

"is there a reason you haven't told Henry about Jessica yet?" Elle inquires.

"I'm just not sure if it's over over" Nolan replies. "she gave me an ultimatum, I picked you, but I didn't break up with her"

"and she hasn't reached out?" Elle frowns.