Follow-Up Day

"I can't believe I fell asleep" Elle pouts as they walk through the station.

"Elle, you were exhausted" Nolan answers.

"still... it was his unbirthday" Elle answers.

"and from what Angela has told me, it was one of the best days of his life" Nolan responds.

"do you think it got him to stop thinking about the Sergeant exam?" Elle asks.

"definitely" Nolan agrees.

"what about getting him to see that no matter how he does, he's still appreciated and amazing?" Elle inquires.

"well... he's got a pretty thick skull, I think you'll have to do several unbirthdays for that to happen" Nolan answers.

"you're probably right" Elle nods. "but, enough about Tim, are you excited?"

"very" Nolan nods.

"So, what are you gonna cook her?" Lucy asks, her and Jackson joining them.

"Couple of big-ass steaks and a lovely baked potato." Nolan responds.

Jackson gives him a look and Nolan asks "What?"

"You know we're in L.A.? She's at least a pescatarian." Jackson points out.

"And she definitely doesn't eat carbs." Lucy adds.

"So, no potato?" Nolan frowns.

"Your safest bet is a kale salad with a nice piece of salmon." Lucy recommends.

"you made that so good" Elle recalls.

"thank you" Lucy smiles, linking her arm with Elle.

At least twice a week, Elle and Lucy will stay over at one of their houses together to help get rid of the nightmares. A few times ago, Lucy made her the kale salad with salmon and it was so good.

"Man, food used to be so easy. There was only two kinds -- fried and other." Nolan complains.

"Okay, Grandpa." Jackson teases.

Harper approaches them.

"Nolan. There's a lawyer looking for you at the front desk." Harper says.

"Uh oh. What'd you do?" Lucy asks. 

[Twenty Minutes Later]

"it's going to be okay, you're allowed to feel however you want to about it" Elle murmurs to Nolan, rubbing his arm.

"Hey. You all right?" Harper asks, coming over.

"My dad died." Nolan answers, bluntly.

"I'm so sorry. Are -- Are you okay?" Harper frowns.

"Yeah. I honestly never knew the man. It's just a little unexpected." Nolan shrugs.

"All right. Well, if you need anything --" Harper starts.

"Nah. I'm fine. Honestly. I'm good. Thank you." Nolan assures.

Elle and Harper share a look that says he's definitely not okay but Nolan is already walking over to Lucy and Jackson so Elle follows.

"All right. Party's over. So, Officer Smitty -- these past two years, you have handled your irrelevance with the poise and dignity I expect from a man of -- of little ambition." Grey says, starting roll call.

"Thank you, sir." Smitty grins.

"To business. Today is Follow-Up Day. Detectives have several cases that are on the edge of being back-burnered. You're gonna take the day to see if you can breathe new life into them. So, Bradford and Chen, you have a three-day-old home invasion. The victim is a former gang member, Nevin Cooper. No forensics, no suspects." Grey explains.