7 - Retreating

Pov - Steve

Pov - Steve

I held my hand out for Ayana and she took it as soon as she exited the room. The confusion in her expression remained and I told myself to help her with it when we're alone later.

"Alright, let's go," said Coulson and led us away from the room.

That short walk to the elevator proved challenging when I finally got more than a fleeting look at my soulmate's wardrobe change. Apart from her face and the tips of her fingers she was completely covered, which, to my bewilderment, still managed to make my heart skip a beat and my soulmark pulse.

My eyes kept drifting to the bottom of the thick jacket-like garment she was wearing, it had a hood and the lack of a zipper allowed the pockets to merge. As she walked the folds of the hoody changed direction to match her hips in a way more pronounced than on a regular shirt.

It was clear to me from the speed at which her eyes darted around the corridor and metal doors that blocked our path that she was not familiar with her surroundings, but her posture showed confidence. Her straight back and lax shoulders added a masculine flare to her appearance along with her clothes and still, did not diminish her femininity, arguably enhanced in a way.

The metal doors ended up being the way into the elevator, and for the first time since waking up, I had taken the time to appreciate some invention unrelated to my soulmate. Last I've seen of those things they looked like hovering cages, unstable and far from secure. I had pushed an enemy's hand through the bars knowing that the next floor would break it, his scream was surprisingly short.

I repeatedly checked on Ayana who appeared to be deep in thought the entire way to Coulson's car. Instead of interrupting her I started a conversation with the agent.

"Your car looks like the rest of them" I said, entering the car after Ayana.

"No she doesn't," he said and started the engine "because this car is not mine, and seatbelt please"

"What?" I was confused.

"Seatbelt." said Ayana and when I turned to look at her and ask for an explanation she had a silver belt pulled away from her chest. She snapped something and took the belt off when my baffled expression hadn't budged and leaned in my direction.

Without warning my soulmate reached to grab something behind me, the unexpected proximity to her chest made my eyes widen and it was messing with my mind. She pulled on some type of smooth belt and locked the attacked metal piece to a spot on the seat between us. My right shoulder and lower stomach were secured to the seat.

"She?" I asked Coulson after sobering up, I pushed the conversation back to where it was before I had embarrassed myself and kept bushing at Ayana. She pulled the same belt over herself and put her hand back in mine when she was done. I squeezed her hand to thank her and she returned the gesture. Her head was shaking slightly, as if cold, and leaned close to the window, she was looking out while the shield agent and I continued the convo. I had wanted to give her my jacket but Coulson had already started heating the car somehow.