Chapter 9

Kyra's gaze darted over to Cade as the plane started to make its descent. They'd been working together as liaisons for five years now.

She hadn't been happy when she'd been told she was becoming one but they hadn't given her a choice. She also hadn't wanted to work with Cade, but she hadn't been given a choice about that either. Both her father and grandfather insisted that she work with him. She'd argued quite a bit, but they both had told her under no uncertain terms, Cade would go with her on each and every pack visit she went on.

"So he can protect you if anything happens," Malachi had said.

She'd rolled her eyes at him. "More like I'll protect him. I'm stronger then him and immortal." Sometimes she hated that about herself.

"So is he, but there are worse things than death," Nick told her. "Just asked Noelle, Ethan and Dimitri."

Kyra had grimaced at that, knowing he was right. She already had enough misery in her life. She didn't need to add to it. And so, she'd finally, reluctantly agreed.

She hadn't really liked Cade at first. He was a bit arrogant, with his unrealistic good looks, but she'd soon realized underneath it all, he really wasn't and he was very sweet. He was thirty-one now, and had yet to find his mate, which was why they'd been paired together.

Cade had become a good friend and had kept her from completely self-destructing more than once. He indulged her with the stupid things she wanted to do, then helped her pick up the pieces when it went completely wrong. Like men.

Kyra went four years without sex before she finally decided she needed to scratch that itch. She'd gone out alone a few times before she'd finally gotten up the nerve to go through with it. It hadn't gone well, and she'd left the hotel room and cried. She'd ended up calling Cade, who'd come to get her and had held her all night, letting her cry and offering what comfort he could.

"Next time, I'm coming with you," he told her the next morning.

"How am I supposed to pick up men with you?" Kyra had asked him. 

"We'll make it work," Cade said.

And they had, mostly. The problem was never with him though. It was mostly her. Sometimes she just couldn't go through with it. Sometimes the guy couldn't satisfy her. And those were the nights she ended up in Cade's bed.

It was never sex, just oral mostly, and it was rather impersonal, or as impersonal as oral sex could be. He never kissed her, and she was glad. It was what she had come to hate, when a guy would want to make out too much or there were too many feelings involved. His hand on her face, too much touching. All of that she couldn't handle. She'd prefer to just get on her hands and knees and let him take her from behind so she didn't have to look at him and remind herself that he wasn't Ajax.

With Cade though, it was easier to handle. She knew he didn't want anything intimate with her. It was just a mutual exchange of pleasure. He didn't really touch her much, there was no kissing involved, and he just gave her what she needed and nothing else.

The plane landed and Kyra stood. "What's the Alpha's name again?"

Cade just looked at her and rolled his eyes. "You already know. Quit stalling and let's get this over with."

She stuck her tongue out at him and he shot her a glare. Kyra grabbed her bag and headed off the plane.

The Beta was waiting for them, and he looked tense, his posture ridgid and he kept looking around nervously.

Something's wrong, Cade linked her. Watch your back.

She glanced at him, her gaze meeting his in understanding, then headed across the tarmac to meet the Beta. Gabe was his name.