Emily (II)

(October 4)

- Emily, wake up, child. It's about time. - my mother whispers through my bedroom door every morning.
- Uh, I'll be right there. - I reply, when I can't wake up in time to read a bit before getting up.
  The worst part of my day? That's exactly what it is, waking up. Sleeping is the best activity there is and when it's over, I feel deeply sad. That's why I wake up grumpy every morning. I wake up hating everyone. But it passes quickly, more precisely after I've read a few pages of whatever book I'm reading at the moment. Usually, I wake up, turn on the lamp on the bedside table and read until my mother calls me. Today I couldn't wake up any earlier.
  I head for the bathroom, but today, John, my younger brother, has arrived first. It's a bad start to the day. I tell him to get out and make the excuse that I'm a woman and older, then he sighs. As usual, I brush my teeth and comb my hair. A lot of my friends wear make-up, but I don't really like it. I only wear it in Performing Arts class if I have to do a role that requires it. It's my favorite class by far, because when I'm acting, I can let myself go and I love that, because I'm not that outgoing and open in my day-to-day life.
  Then I go upstairs to my room, which I'd love to have a bathroom in, so that I have more privacy and don't have to wait for my brother, and change my clothes. But my room isn't awful at all. It has some great little details that make it special and make me love it. First: It's in the attic, away from everyone, and I love looking at the stars, so the skylight is very useful to me, but even so my fantastic skylight isn't what makes my room THE best, it's the window. And no, it's not a normal window. I mean the window, yes, but not after that. I can go out of the window and be on the roof, because it's not tiled and it's smooth. That's simply because my brother's room is underneath and, as the windows are big, they needed to put in a big cover (at least that's my theory). But I'm not complaining; on the contrary, I've had some good times there. One curiosity is that the first time I saw that place I thought it would be perfect to take a boyfriend, not least because the street is dead-end and the neighbors can't see, but of the few I've had I never thought I'd be intimate enough to take them there. It's a really special place for me, which will lead me to share secrets I've never told anyone, with the person who goes there with me, so it definitely won't be just anyone. I think I'm even more likely to bring a best friend here than a best friend or boyfriend. But now I have to go and have breakfast, as my mother is already calling me. You'll have time to find out more about me. I promise!
- I'm coming, Mom!

  I sit down at the table where my mother's incredible mixed omelets are already at my place. Everyone is already eating and talking happily. They ask my brother how his relationship is going and he starts blushing and trying to divert the conversation, as usual. It's very funny to see him trying to divert the conversation, especially when I remember seeing him with a girl in the forest of dreams. But to help him, I make something up:
- And who's taking me today, Dad?
- Your mother. - she replies, while continuing to look at John. - And you're coming with me, son.
- But Dad, I have gymnastics now!
- Of course, that's why you're dressed up, isn't it? - he says, laughing as only he knows how.
  Honestly, I hate it when my parents meddle in my life. Sometimes I wish they'd just ignore me instead of asking certain questions. However, with my brother it's quite funny.
- Okay, Dad, we get it! - I get up from the table and join in. - Shall we go, Mom? You're still going to be late for your client.
- Come on, child, calm down. Those teenage hormones are going to drive you crazy! Goodbye my loves, see you later. - She says, saying goodbye to the men of the house.

  I get to school and it's five minutes past eight. I hate being late, but with my family it's hard to get anywhere on time. Just today, I wanted to talk to Amy from APL1. If I remember correctly, she's probably taking Literature with Professor Marie Helene, who is also my Literature and Performing Arts teacher, who is also the wife of Professor Joseph O'Neill, my English Literature teacher. But that's it, at eleven we'll talk in the school theater.