Emily (IV)

(October 6)

  I'm on my way to the school theater for my performing arts class when I spot James in the middle of my class. He's wearing a sweater, most likely sleeveless, black jeans and a leather jacket. I enter the theater and wait at the entrance for James to come in. When he enters, I smile and say almost in a whisper, so as not to be noticed:
- You're hot!
It must be ten degrees outside and even though the school is hot, he's walking home. Rumors...
- I'm fine, thanks. - he replies, smiling.
- But it's about ten degrees outside, James. - I say, with a certain concern. - You'll still get sick.
- I drove here today. Don't worry about it. - Calm me down
- I didn't know you had a car. - I say, surprised. The question of why he walks to school when he has a car comes to mind, but teacher Marie Helene interrupts the conversation.
- Miss Castle? - Call me. I'm lucky she likes me, because if it were anyone else, I'd be telling her off for talking to someone instead of going to the dressing room.
- Yes, teacher, I'm coming. - I reply, turning to James. - Sorry, we'll talk later. Sit down!
- See you soon, good luck Emily Castle. - she says, winking at me.
  As I go to the dressing room, I feel more and more nervous. This never happens to me. It must be because James is watching this time.

  I managed to stay calm during the lesson and I could see that James was enjoying the play, as he made funny faces at the big reveals.
  I put on my black pants, tuck my white blouse inside and go to meet James, who is standing outside the theater. As we're leaving the school, he's talking about how amazing he thought our performance was and that he wouldn't mind coming to see it more often or on the day we're performing for the whole school. I see James take a remote out of his pocket and start the car. I thought we were heading for the BMW next door, but it turns out his car is a luxurious but sporty black three-door Rolls-Royce Wraith. It's incredibly beautiful, just like the owner.
- Wow, is that how you get to school every day? - I observe, pretending I haven't been gossiping with Amy about him walking.
- No, I only brought it because I didn't want you to walk like I usually do. - he replies, as he opens the door for me to enter. I fumble a bit, because the doors open in reverse. As James puts the backpacks in the trunk, I notice some people looking at us. I take advantage of the fact that he hasn't got in yet and look back to see that there are three more seats in the back, even though there are only two doors in the front. It's very clean, it doesn't even look like it's been used.
  When James gets into the car, Royce says turn it on and he turns on the overhead light, turns on the radio and out comes a voice in response Welcome back Mr. James. I can't hide the look of amazement on my face at all this and the fact that the radio is on my favorite station.
  I notice that James has two rings, one on the index finger and one on the ring finger of his right hand.
- I hadn't noticed you were wearing rings. - I say, to break the silence and remove my doubts.
- I wasn't wearing it, but I decided to join in. - she says, smiling. It's making me want to touch those lips, hold him against one... Get a grip, Emily!

  We arrived at James' building in less than five minutes. He drives down a ramp directly into an underground garage, which has a good number of spaces. James parks his car one space away from the only car already there, a black Range Rover.
  I try to get out in style, but it's difficult because of the door which, even if I rode in this car every day, I don't know if I'd get used to. James takes off his backpack and walks me to the elevator, while telling me that each person on the three floors of the building has a garage just like that one and that the Range Rover was the car his parents use when the three of them go out. I realize that James, unlike me, has no brothers.

  When we reach the third floor, the elevator opens and I find myself in a small hallway, instead of the usual corridor that leads to two or more apartments. The floor is all his. To my left is a wall of mirrors that gives a sense of depth, due to the reflection of the dining room on the opposite side. We put our backpacks down in the hall and James strides into the living room. He looks at me and, opening his arms a little, says:
- Welcome to my home!
  At first glance, your house is impressive and disappointing at the same time. It's impressive because of its size and the view of the city streets, a view I look at intently for a few seconds. Disappointing, because the decoration has no personality. I feel like I'm looking at a Casa Vogue magazine or some other interior design magazine. The kitchen displays an open space concept, integrating perfectly with the dining area, perfect for the cover photo. Dust is non-existent and, apparently, 'clutter' doesn't exist in the room's dictionary. As we headed down a huge corridor, I even thought he was going to tell me that we were actually in a studio and those big windows were televisions, but it didn't happen.
  When we enter the hallway, I am genuinely impressed. As we walk along, the LED lighting lights up on the ceiling and floor up to at least two meters in front of us and fades out behind us over the same distance. On the wooden wall, with rectangles of different shades of brown, are some pictures of James and what I think are his parents. In the last picture, the three of them are together in a very formal pose, similar to that of kings. It's funny how James is visibly taller than his parents. I won't comment on the portraits, since James doesn't seem to like his parents very much and, consequently, photos with them.
  At the end of the corridor we passed, according to James, bedrooms and bathrooms and a kind of tree on top of some stones in an area built into the wall.
  The corridor ends with a door that leads to an ascending spiral staircase, also illuminated. Before we go up, James asks to be excused and takes off my coat to hang it in one of the cupboards, and asks me to take off my shoes, while he takes off his own to put in the other cupboard.
  The staircase ends at a door with a fingerprint lock and a four-digit code. James places his thumb against the fingerprint and opens the door. He extends an arm and says please with a smile. As I enter, James closes the door and walks into the middle of his huge room, turning to me. So as not to appear rude, I quickly look around, seeing to my right a modern cupboard with some objects and diplomas on display, but what caught my eye was a piano to the left of the door. When I approach it, I do what all people who can't play do.... I put my index and middle finger on the first two keys and accidentally push it, making it play. I look at James, who is still standing in the middle of the room watching me enchant myself with the piano, and I apologize for playing.
- Low C and D, typical, but it's okay, the walls are soundproof. You can play all you want. - He replied with his calm and welcoming air.
  As he seems relaxed, I take a closer look at his room. There's a nice sofa facing a television and a closet that's somehow smaller than mine. I know James started talking to me, but I was so focused that I only heard him say to me - I hardly ever use that TV. If you want, we can watch a movie together sometime.
  As I only heard part of the sentence, the most important part, I answered him with an Uhum, which I regretted immediately afterwards. I thought that with my cold and sudden response he might have thought that I didn't really want to see the movie, but that I said the opposite to be nice, which is a lie. But I carried on watching the room.
  One thing that intrigues me is a ladder that leads to a compartment above the bed area. He says it's his reading corner and holds my hand with his big, soft left hand, making everything stop for a second, because neither of us expected him to touch my hand like that, which made me like his touch even more. He climbed the stairs half sideways, staring at me and the steps he was walking on.
  When I go upstairs, James plugs in a lamp and I see a small room with two bookshelves. Only one of them is filled with anatomy and psychology books, all neatly organized and unmixed. - The other shelf is empty. - I watch, showing my curiosity.
- Yes, I don't know what kind of books I like the most, because I only read these two types of books, so it's empty, probably to be filled with the romantic books you told me about. I don't think I'll like it, but I'll make you want to buy it and read it. - She replies with a mischievous smile, her adorable dimples barely visible.
  I go back down, take a quick look at the well-organized desk and say that the bed is big, but low. - The bed is lower than usual, because under the mattress is the floor. It has been tailor-made to fit snugly on this rocky surface that surrounds it, at almost the same height. - He told me.
He has the answer to everything. He's so incredibly intelligent.
- I wasn't expecting that. - I say, as I sit on the end of his bed.
- What? - He asks me, sitting down next to me with a faraway look in his eyes.
- I didn't expect you... to have such financial possibilities. - I say, a little embarrassed to be making such a remark.
- Ah, that. I'd rather have more united parents than so much money. - He reveals, while looking at the floor.
- I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. - I mumble and hold his hand.
James fixes his eyes on mine and asks, squeezing my hand even tighter.
- It's okay. What's your relationship like with your parents?
He drops his hand again and looks away.
- I feel bad saying this, knowing now the relationship you have with your parents, but mine are too controlling, in my opinion. Sometimes I just wish they'd forget I exist. - Sigh.
- I'd rather have parents like yours. - Tell me. - If my parents talk to me when we go out for lunch or something, that's a lot. They just want me to do my degree and be perfect at everything.
  I don't want to be rude, but I can feel my stomach rumbling. I look at the time on my cell phone and it's just after one o'clock.
- I'm sorry, it's not that I'm not enjoying your company, on the contrary, it's just that I'm starving. - I'll explain. - What's your address so I can ask my mom to pick me up?
- No, it's fine. Don't you want to have lunch with me? - Ask me. I want to, but I don't think I should. We've only just met and he's being very sweet to me. Although he doesn't seem like it, he might just want to jump me and then kick me into the corner. Cute boys always have to have something bad to make up for it. It's decided, I'm not going to accept. Not now.
- Yes, it could be. - I say instinctively. Wait, why did I accept?
- Yes! Let's go? - He stands up and raises his hand towards me, helping me up. His hands are so warm compared to mine that I feel like they're on fire. Now I'm not going to say that I don't want to.
  As we pass through the room, we see a womanwith her back to us. She's about my size (that is, by James shoulders), hasvery light hair down to her shoulders, but not quite white, and is wearing alight gray wool sweater with white jeans.