Emily (XXVI)

Day 3 of the Camp

  We're just finishing lunch when, for the first time in three days, the principal and some teachers show up to see us.
- Hello, students. How are you? - says hello to the principal.
- We're fine! - I reply.
- Great! We are here to inform you that today we are going to have a party to celebrate these days of camping.
- Really? - we all said, surprised and excited.
- Yes, but I'm going to let Professor Marie Helene speak here. - He says, touching her shoulder.
- Hello, everyone! To that side... - he says, pointing to the west of the lake. - ...there will be a path made of lights that you'll have to follow, after dark, to a wooden structure. We'll be there when you arrive.
- This way, teachers and students can socialize and exchange knowledge. - adds the director.
- I think it's a very interesting initiative and extremely relevant to our departure. - says James ironically. Let's all count ourselves so we don't burst out laughing.
- I'm glad you liked it... - says the director. I don't think you understood James' irony. - ...I'll see you tonight, then. If you have anything more formal to wear, we'd appreciate it. It's not exactly a formal outing, but a touch of elegance doesn't hurt anyone.
- I think we do. - I observe. I must have something more formal among the clothes I brought and haven't worn yet. The truth is, we were hoping we'd have more activities than we've had, and that we wouldn't have to think of them ourselves. I hope this party is at least a good one.

  We couldn't get ready until just before the sun went down. First, because it's fall and it gets dark relatively early, and second, because we only have two bathrooms for everyone, so we had to get ready little by little. We women used the two bathrooms first, because we had more work to do to get ready, while the boys had to shower and get dressed. As we got ready, we sat by the fire. Rick is dressed in his characteristic style. A white shirt, open at the chest with the sleeves rolled up, jeans and Jordan sneakers. Jenny, on the other hand, is wearing a black jumpsuit. I'm impressed by how easy it is for her to dress well. Ron wears a t-shirt and shorts (he almost looks like a retired man who spends his free time playing golf), and Lis has chosen a black strappy dress with a knee-length skirt.
  As I enter the tent to pick up a ring that I have yet to put on, I see James wearing a black and red floral steampunk gothic satin vest. I can't help but stare at him.
- How bad am I? - he asks me.
- Not at all. You don't know how well you're doing. - I say. He always dresses well, but this time he's gone to another level.
- Thank you. - say.
- But I think that's a bit much, don't you? - I say. Since we don't know what the party is going to be like, I think it's risky to go dressed up.
- Do you think so? - he asks, looking himself up and down.
- Just a little. - I say, moving closer and touching his belly. He takes my hand and takes a step back.
- Sorry, sorry. I didn't remember. - I feel really stupid. I managed to ruin everything.
- It's all right. - He reassures me, entwining his fingers in mine.
- I can help you choose another outfit if you want.
- Please. I don't know what to wear. - she asks, laughing.
  From all the clothes on the mattress, I pick out a pair of gray-black jeans, a turtleneck sweater that must look killer on him and a black, gray and white plaid flannel shirt.
- Do you want help getting dressed? - I ask jokingly.
- I had to. - he replies, taking off his shirt from under his vest. I feel hot.
- You idiot. - I say, laughing, as I leave the tent.
- You started it! - he accuses me (unfairly), laughing.
  When I leave the tent, I realize that I made the right decisions. In every sense of the word. He looks beautiful in the outfit I've chosen and the combination of accessories he's added. A silver chain, a similar bracelet, a watch and a black ring that matches mine. In fact, his outfit matches my mid-thigh length dress. The black of the dress and the gray of the neckline clasp, the details all over the dress and the boots.
- Now you're perfect! - I say, addressing him.
- Thank you! - he says, kissing my cheek. He has a perfume that I can't identify, but it's incredibly good, like the one he usually wears. It has a fruity scent, but it's not cloying. - You look beautiful too. - he says.
- Thank you! - I say, blushing.
- Shall we get going, lovebirds? - Lis asks. - They turned on the lights a while ago and the other group has already gone.
- Come on, I'm sorry. - I say.
  We followed the path made up of Christmas lights in a line. A few minutes' walk later, we arrived at the party, far enough away that we couldn't see it being set up, but not too far to be able to go back to the tents, drunk on the non-alcoholic drinks the school offers. The structure is admirably beautiful. It looks like a resort bar on an island paradise, as is common in romantic movies. It's all made of wood and the bar has an indoor part and an outdoor part with a dance floor and chairs. There are plants everywhere and light lighting.
- This is incredible. - observes Lis.
- Really, this decoration is incredible! - If I expected anything, this certainly wasn't it.
- I'm going to get the orange juices, of dubious quality, from the bar. - informs Rick, as we enter the outer part of the enclosure. We laugh.
  Inside, the teachers are talking to the other group of students in a large circle. As we sit in the chairs, Rick says something to those inside, making them look at us for a second, and then he goes to the bar. When he comes back, he says:
- Guys, good news and bad news. Which do you want first?
- Hello," Jenny said straight away.
- The good thing is that they're not giving out orange juice at the bar. They let you drink whatever you want. - They all party.
- And the bad one? - I ask.
- The bad thing is that they're not giving anything away. Ten euros per person and we have an open bar for the rest of the night, with a limit of five drinks per person, and only if they think it won't hurt you to drink more.
- It's not so bad. We couldn't ask for better, coming from the school. It's lucky they're selling alcohol. - says Lis.
- That's true. - agrees Ron.
- Do you have any money on you? - Rick asks.
- It's not necessary. You won the competition on Monday; you deserve to be paid. - says James.
- Really? Thank you, Rick. - says Rick.
- I'll go with you and pay for mine and Lisa's. - says Ron.
- I said it was because of the competition, but I pay everyone.
- Really slow. - I say to Ron. We laugh.
  When we were halfway through our first drinks, they put on some music and we all went out to dance, before they called us back for dinner. Of course, the boys only came because we made them, but they didn't complain too much, as you'd expect coming from those boring people. We spent at least thirty minutes jumping around and singing the songs almost screaming. Let's hope the windows are triple glazed and tempered, so that those inside don't hear us off-key outside. I think this was the fun that was missing from the camp, to make it even more unforgettable.
In the twinkling of an eye, the director appears and we all stop singing.
- Hello, everyone. I didn't want to put an end to your fun, but dinner is about to be served. - informs. We were all visibly sad, as the fun on the dance floor was evident. - But don't worry, the party out here will continue after dinner.
  We all follow in single file two by two behind him into the store and I notice that Paul is staring at James and me.
- May I? - I ask James, touching his hand.
- Of course. - he replies, looking at our hands. We then walk past Paul, holding hands, and I feel a certain pleasure on James' face at this. I did it, not to throw James in Paul's face, but to see if he'll forget about me for good and stop trying to get James and me to break up, like at Amy's party.
- Sit wherever you like. - says the principal, pointing to the large, single table in the dining room. We immediately sat down in one corner, Paul's group in the middle, against their will, and the teachers in the other corner.
  According to the director, we were all put at the same table to 'promote conviviality and put an end to the creation of groups'. We spent dinner, eating canteen food, talking about the theater and the personal lives of the people in the group, while Paul's group complained about the camp, and the teachers talked about politics, school and told stories about when they were our age. Some talk as if they were eighteen more than a century ago. As for the creation of the groups, ours has never been as united as it has been since James joined and this camp began. And that makes me extremely happy, as we're like a family.
  After we've finished the main course, no one takes the risk of ordering dessert, and dinner is over. Even though it's still early, the teachers have told us that they're going to their tents. We youngsters go outside to enjoy the music, as we were doing before we were called to dinner, but Paul and his friends leave early and put a playlist of only the most obnoxious songs on the speakers. They manage to completely ruin the best atmosphere we've managed to create since the start of the camp. However, we decided to ignore the music and just hang out and drink. Jenny and Rick stood kissing against one of the walls, the four of us on a sofa, telling James how the group started, and the rest of us split up between the dance floor and the other sofas.
- So, you two and Jenny were a trio? - James asks, pointing at Ron and me.
- "Yes," I say. - Since elementary school.
- And then Lis came along and they became a couple.
- Right. In tenth grade.
- And you became best friends.
- That's right. And this school year Jenny started dating Rick. At first, we didn't like him very much, but around the time we started talking to you, he started hanging out with us more and now we're all friends. - I explain.
- So, I'm officially part of the group? - you ask.
- When you date me. - I reply.
- That's right. - he says, blushing.
- Just kidding! - I say, laughing.
- No, you're not. - says Lis.
- No, I don't. - I reply, smiling. - No, but of course you are. You know too much not to be. - I say, winking.
- I should be the one to say that. - he says, laughing.
- Is it just me, or have they started talking in code? - Ron asks.
- I thought of that too. - says Lis. - Have you reached that level of complicity?
- I don't know what they're talking about. - lies James, getting up. - I'm going to get myself a drink, anyone?
- Me, please. Some juice. - I ask.
- See you soon. - he says, heading for the bar.
- Emily?" calls a voice from the dance floor. I look over and it's Paul, coming over to my table.
- What's wrong? - I ask.
- Can we talk?
- "No," I say.
- Please, I need to talk to you.
- Okay, go ahead.
- Not here.
- Really? - I ask. I look at Lis and she nods no, but if I tell her yes, maybe he'll stop bothering me for good. I get up and follow him about fifteen meters from where we were standing.
- Be brief. - I say.
- Is he your boyfriend? - he asks me.
- James? I'm sorry, but I haven't gotten to the part where you have anything to do with it.
- Okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about Amy's party too, I didn't mean to turn you against him. I was just worried about you. I didn't want you to suffer.
- Have you finished?
- Emily, are you going to ignore everything we've had because of one guy?
- Paul, we've had nothing. We have nothing and we'll never have anything. Do you know what nothing means?
- Don't say that. You're special. - he says, grabbing my arm.
- Emily? Is something wrong? - James asks, coming closer. Paul lets go of my arm.
- No, James. It's all right. - I say. - We were just catching up, weren't we?
- Of course. - answer.
- I saw him grab you. - says James, clenching a fist, as he slowly approaches Paul.
- Yeah, about that. - I say, holding James' fist in one hand and slapping Paul with the other. - Don't you ever touch me again, you hear?
- Are you all right?" asks Lis, approaching us. - I told her you'd gone with Paul; in case you needed help.
- You did well. I'm fine.
- I'm even better. - says James, laughing. Ron and Lis look at him uncomprehendingly and he adds: - She slapped him.
- Really? - they ask in chorus.
- He grabbed me. I was just defending myself.
- I wish I could be like you, my friend. - says Lis.