Emily (XXIII)

Halfway through the trip, James pulled our hands apart again, which is perfectly normal. However, I can understand that he feels guilty about it. Something that made me notice James more at first was his peculiar behavior towards me, where he seemed to be saying hello against his will. As time has gone by, this attitude has changed positively, but it's still something I can't help thinking about. I try to be more observant, but I admit that's not my strong suit, so I can't see or think of any reason why this would happen. One day I tried to broach the subject on one of our nightly calls, which has become our almost daily routine, but, as he went off topic, I pretended to have forgotten, and at the end of the call I did some research on the subject. I read that one of the causes could be possible traumas during childhood, which, although trivialized, is one of the main reasons why adults have disorders, fears or insecurities. If that's the case, only he can tell me. If he does, I'll want to help him as best I can. I just hope he'll be open enough to allow me to do it. He's different, and he has to realize that that's not a bad thing. In fact, that's what makes him so special.

  When we arrived at our destination, we got out of the van complaining because the seats weren't exactly comfortable.
- Where are the others? - asks Rick, who was the first to leave.
- They should be here by now; we were coming for them. - says Jenny.
- From what I've been told, your colleagues will be somewhere on those sides..." the driver informs me, pointing east. - ...and your teachers on the other side of the lake. - he says, pointing north.
- I thought we were going to be together. - I say.
- Let's face it, it's better this way. We avoid unwanted people and we can do what we want without being hassled by the teachers. - replies Lis.
- Will you need help setting up the tents? - asks the driver.
- I think we can put it together. - replies Ron.
- So, I'm going to the other group and I'll be right back.
- See you soon! - we all said in chorus.
  When James opens the trunk of the van, we notice that it's bigger than it looks and full of bags and boxes. Four tents for two people each which, from the picture on the box, are huge, six portable wooden chairs, a portable fire, probably because they were afraid, we'd burn down the forest, two bags of wood pellets, blankets, mattresses and some bags of food. When we'd finished getting everything out of the van, the driver came up and asked:
- So, have you decided where you're going to put the tents?
- Not really, we had to see what was in all these bags. - I reply.
- We just don't understand why there are four tents when there are six of us. - says Rick.
- According to the director's orders, two girls will sleep in one tent, two boys in another and the other two will have to sleep alone in separate tents. - informs us.
- But what's wrong with sleeping with whoever you want? - asks Rick.
- I don't think they want to be responsible for anything, so it's a way of minimizing the risks, if you know what I mean.
- Nothing will happen that hasn't already happened. - says Ron. We all look at him. - I haven't told any lies. - complete.
- That sounded really bad. - I say.
- It really did. - agrees James.
- I thought so too. - says the driver, laughing. - But what I would advise you to do, because it's obvious that you're not going to respect the director's rules, is to open the four tents and put your things in them during the day and at night when you go to bed go wherever you want. That way you don't risk getting hit in the ear and I don't lose my beloved job.
- I think it's a great idea. - I say. Everyone agrees.

  What seems like an hour later, we have the four tents set up in an "X" shape, and the portable fire placed in the middle with the chairs around it. While we're setting them up, we also decide which tent is for each of us. News: I'm sleeping with James.
- It's done, in a little while a team will come and set up some lights, a bathroom and a little place for you to cook. - says the driver.
- How chic! - says Rick.
- That's my cue to leave. Have fun and see you on Thursday! - Farewell.
- See you on Thursday, thank you! - thank you.

  - While we're setting this up, you can practice these activities. - Says one of the men who arrived ten minutes after the driver left, pointing to bows and arrows, volleyballs and other things.
- What do you want to do? - I ask. I don't know which option is the most fun.
- We could do a bit of everything. - James suggests.
- I've got a better idea! - Exclaims Rick, pausing dramatically. - What if we had a couples' competition? We bet something or something.
- I don't dislike the idea. - Ron says.
- I found it interesting, actually. - I mean. - But what do the winners get?
- Whoever loses has to buy the winners dinner. - James says.
- Deal! - Rick replies, holding out his hand.
- Deal! - The rest of us said in chorus, sealing the challenge with a handshake.