James (X)

Who hasn't seen someone watching the sunset with their partner, or walking under the stars, and thought that when they were dating, they would do the same? I'm no different. The context isn't the best and we're not boyfriend and girlfriend, but I have the opportunity to walk under the stars of this city with the person I like the most at the moment, without my parents bothering me. A dream? If it is, I don't want to wake up.
  I don't remember ever being romantic, but suddenly, for this girl, I'd be able to propose every week.
- Earth to James. - says Emily, waking me from my thoughts.
- Yes! Let's do something really good tonight. - I reply.
  The streets are empty. We walk through them laughing, jumping and singing. Right now, shame is something that never seemed to exist. Very few people pass us by. It's truly incredible to see a city that is so bustling during the day and almost ghost-like at night. Every window you look into is a story to be told.
- I want ice cream! - I say suddenly.
- Nothing's open at this hour, James. - he replies, pouting.
- We should become presidents and make all the stores open at night!
- I think it's a great idea! - agrees. - But on the other hand, we wouldn't have the streets to ourselves.
- Good point. I hadn't thought of that. - We laughed.
  So, we went to the only store open at this hour. A 24-hour store. We bought some soft drinks that we hadn't had for a while and were missing. Outside the store, I proposed a toast and we toasted to more of the same. We stared at each other and held a comfortable silence for a few seconds before smiling and taking a sip. I could have kissed her, but I was afraid she wouldn't have wanted to. Maybe next time...
  A short while later, we were entering the city park, which is beautiful, when suddenly Emily exclaimed:
- Let's dance on the bandstand!
- I don't know how to dance. - I reply, surprised by the invitation.
- Come on. Please! - she begs.
I think it's going to be a good experience, but I roll my eyes and say:
- Okay, let's go.
She leads me there by the hand, jumping for joy.
  When we arrive, we see a couple kissing against the wall, on top of the bandstand, with a speaker next to them blaring music. Emily looks at me and I see her smile fading, but I try not to let it happen. Nothing will spoil this evening.
  I turn to Emily, run my index finger down her cheek to her chin and push it up to look myself in the eye, and say:
- Don't worry, we'll come back another time.
- Promise? - ask me.
- I promise.

  An hour or so after walking around the city, talking about various topics, we returned to my house to pick up my car. I always carry my keys in my pocket, so I don't even need to meet my father again. At least, not now.
- "Are you sure it's okay to sleep at your place, Emily?" I ask again.
- Seriously, I've already asked my mother and she's accepted it quietly. - reassure me.
By the time we get to Emily's house, we're about to fall over.
  We climb the stairs carefully so as not to make any noise, because apparently Emily's parents are already asleep.
- Do you want to sleep with me? - he asks me, already in the bedroom. - We wake up before my parents.
- That may be, but we really have to wake up before your parents do, otherwise they'll kill me.
- Don't worry about it. - tell me. - I'll be right back; I'm going to change in the bathroom.
- Okay. - I reply.
  While I'm waiting, I go up to the roof to look at the sky and think about everything that's gone wrong today. I should have kept quiet so as not to spoil Emily's evening.
- James? James! - I hear a loud whisper from inside the room, coming from Emily.
- "Yes?" I ask, poking my head into the room. Emily is wearing a white nightgown that goes halfway down her thighs... Wow.
- Ah, there you are. I brought you these pants of my father's that were in the laundry.
I thanked him.
- I just didn't have any sweaters... do you mind sleeping without?
- No, of course not.
  I go to the bathroom to change and when I come back, I put the clothes I had on the chair, so they wouldn't get too big, and I lie down on the bed where Emily is also lying. I feel that she's looking at me, but I pretend not to notice.
  Before turning off the light on the bedside table, I kiss Emily on the cheek and wish her 'Goodnight'.
- Good night, James.- I said it back with a shy smile.